Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTune Amplifier 2013 Beta: Java Support with Dive to Source/Assembly Problem

Markus_Krainz
Beginner
Hi!

I am participating in the Parallel Studio XE 2013 Beta. There is a feature "Java Support with Dive to Source/Assembly Code".
However when I attach to a Java application and do a new analysis like Concurrency or Hotspots, most of the time is spent in "Unknown Call Stack" and no Java class or method information is shown. I also attached the source code in the project properties, and tried to start a new java process and setting Managed code profiling mode to MANAGED to no avail.
Am I doing something wrong or is this a known issue?

How do I have to configure Vtune Amplifier XE 2013 to do Java application profiling?

Best regards
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_T_Intel
Hi Markus,
Attachment to a Java process is not supported in the VTune Amplifier XE 2013 Beta yet. You need to launch your application from within the tool. Use a launch script and put the path to the script to the Application field in the New Analysis Configuration dialog.
Please, be aware that we do not support unwinding stacks of interpreted methods yet. You will see only compiled methods stack in the results. For the interpreted methods there will be !Interpreter item shown in the stack hierarchy.
Use the Java options that make JVM compiling methods instead of interpreting them.

0 Kudos
Markus_Krainz
Beginner
Hi Vladimir,

thank you for your response. I got it to show the java method names. Using Orace Hotspot VM I had to pass "-Xcomp". Also it's important not to use "-XX:+TieredCompilation". However without JIT the programm runs very slow and I fear the profiling has litte resemblence with a normal programm run.
Note: I got two warnings: "Hardware event-based sampling collection does not support pure managed analysis [...]", "User-mode sampling and tracing collection does not support pure managed analysis [...]". Is this normal?
I have problems interpreting the results. I get warnings about bad branch prediction and cache misses. I am unsure if this is due to JIT being disabled or if there is an actual problem with my application. Could you comment on that?

Regards

0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel

Hi Markus,

We recommend to using Xcomp option just to improve stack unwinding. Yes, it may change an application behavior in case a lot of methods have to be compiled.

As for the warnings you mentioned: use the Auto mode in the Managed code profiling mode the warnings will not display.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

0 Kudos