Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTune Amplifier XE 2017 - warning and error

Colin_Reinhardt
Beginner

Hi, new to VTune, just installed 30-day demo while I wait for approval for Educator licenses for my class & students.

I am professor at University of Washington EE dept, teaching a GPU course using Intel Processor Graphics HD 530 (Gen9) on SKYLAKE SoC.

Using VTune to profile GPU performance and OpenCL compute kernels.

I am running the basic HelloOpenCL demo app (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/use-vtune-amplifier-system-2016-for-helloopencl-gpu-application-analysis)

After doing a new GPU Hostspots analysis uisng "Compute Extended" configurations (with Trace OpenCL .. checked),

I get the following warning & error in the Collection Log pane after the analysis completes:

Warning: Cannot stop collection of GPU events

Error: Cannot load data file 'C:\Users\....\My Amplifier XE Results - clHelloWorld\r004gh\data.0\gen_metrics.0.vtss' (Data file is corrupted).

Then a bunch of stuff is missing from my Graphics output pane.

How can I troubleshoot this? Thank you, Colin

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Colin,

This might happen with some versions of Intel Graphics driver. Can you please update to the most recent one to see if it mitigates this issue?

You should be able to check for a newer driver on the following site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

0 Kudos
Colin_Reinhardt
Beginner

Hi,

I have Intel HD Graphics P530 and Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5 system on a Lenovo Thinkpad.

Current installed driver version is: 20.19.15.4483. (Is this sufficiently recent?)

When I downloaded the latest driver from the link you provided, (version 15.45.10.4542),

the install aborts almost immediately with the message "Error: The driver being installed is not validated for this computer."

The install info says the driver supports Intel Xeon E3-1500 v5 product family with Windows 10-64

and the Intel HD graphics on Intel Xeon Processor E3-1500 v5 family.

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Colin,

Please install Intel® Driver Update Utility from the same link to be able to use automatic detection of the right driver version.

0 Kudos
Colin_Reinhardt
Beginner

When I run Intel Driver Update Utility it says:

Graphics: A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver.

When I run the Lenovo Companion to check for manufacturer graphics driver updates, it wants to install Intel Graphics Driver 20.19.15.4416.

As I mentioned above, my laptop shows the currently installed driver is version: 20.19.15.4483.  (Which is later/new, right?)

My laptop is Lenovo ThinkPad P50, type 20EN.  Do you have any specific information about driver or other VTune issues with these?

It appears the error I describe in my first post on this thread does not happen the very first time I run VTune after a cold reboot. Then it works and I do not receive the messages described. But if I try to run a 2nd analysis, then it fails as described.

What do you suggest to do now? Thank you, Colin

0 Kudos
Colin_Reinhardt
Beginner

Intel: please provide response for next troubleshooting step. Need to resolve. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello Colin,

To explore why *.vtss trace file became corrupted we need to look into the file.

Can you please attach r004gh\data.0\gen_metrics.0.vtss to this forum thread?

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos