Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

VTune Installation problem on RH8

rpb
Beginner
Hi,

These are my machine details:

P4 processor
Red Hat 8.0 (Psyche)
Kernel 2.4.18 - 14

I just downloaded the VTune Eval version today and was trying to install it. After a few initial steps being successful, the installation stopped with the following message:

The current distribution of Linux on this system is Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche)

This platform is not supported by the product.
The VTune Performance Analyzer 3.0 for Linux* was validated on Red Hat* Linux* 7.3, 9 with errata patches,
Advanced Server 2.1, Enterprise Linux 3.0, SuSE* 8.2, 9.0 and SLES 8.

To try installing VTune Performance Analyzer 3.0 for Linux* on an unsupported
platform run installation in custom mode.

Installation failed. Please press Enter to continue...

Please see /var/log/install.log file for details

However, it is said in the Intel website (http://www.intel.com/software/products/vtune/vlin/sysreq.htm) that Red Hat 8, Kernel 2.4.18 - 14 is supported.

Anyone's faced this problem before? Any work arounds possible?

Thanks,
rpb
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey rpb, thanks for letting us in on what you're seeing.
Probably the QUICKEST way to get working would be:
1) Install the VTune for linux problem on a server in the supported list
2) install the linux remote agent, vtserver, on that RH 8 server. (That installation program is install.sh)
Then, you can sit at the VTune GUI and launch sampling and callgraph profiling sessions across the network to vtserver, and get the results back at the GUI.
If you don't have another Linux server handy, you can do the same thing with the VTune 7.2 for Windows product: install it on Windows, install vtserver on RH8, sit at that GUI and launch profiling activities across the net, view them where you sit.
The linux remote agent comes with BOTH products.
Please let us know if this is of help to you, either way.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
rpb
Beginner
Hi jdg,

Thanks a lot for your reply and my apologies for not replying promptly. Regarding your suggestions, I'm afraid they didn't help me as much bcoz I did not have either a linux server, or a Windows machine at my disposal.

Anyway, that particular installation of Linux had to be removed alltogether from my machine for some reasons not to do with VTune. So, this message stands void rather...:-)

Thanks,
rpb
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Thanks for the update, rpb!
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos