Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

VTune Linux - How to undo source directory search location assignemnt

cfspc
Beginner
Greetings,

I was trying to drill down to source and vtune asked me where a given source file
was. Instead of the file name I gave it only the directory name and just got a
blank source view. Now whenever I try to drill down to a function in that file
I get the same blank source view. Is there a way to undo this association so
that I can point VTune to the correct source location?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Vladimir_T_Intel
Hi Carlos,

If VTune asked for the source file while drilling-down to a hotspot function, it might mean that the project files were moved or obsolete or executable does not contain debug information. Make sure you are using correct files (sources correspond to the compiled modules you're drilling down from) and the debug information is generated (use /Zi and /DEBUG options for compilation and linking).

In order to clean-up all assosiations just delete ISM cache: "global_dataISMxxx"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_T_Intel
Hi Carlos,

If VTune asked for the source file while drilling-down to a hotspot function, it might mean that the project files were moved or obsolete or executable does not contain debug information. Make sure you are using correct files (sources correspond to the compiled modules you're drilling down from) and the debug information is generated (use /Zi and /DEBUG options for compilation and linking).

In order to clean-up all assosiations just delete ISM cache: "global_dataISMxxx"

0 Kudos
cfspc
Beginner
Hi Vladimir,

Thanks! I will try this now.

BTW - The executable I am profiling is the result of some very large andnasty build procedure
that probably does move some stuff around etc. However, the source file location, at least
relative, is in the binary.

Thanks,

Carlos

0 Kudos
cfspc
Beginner
Hello again,

Cleaning ISM did notwork :-(. I removed all the symbolic info I had. I can't even see function names now.

Carlos

0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - cfspc
Hello again,

Cleaning ISM did notwork :-(. I removed all the symbolic info I had. I can't even see function names now.

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

Once cleaned-up ISN cache, you need torun the collection again and point out right sources. But I suspect thatin your case there is a mess in the debug info anyway.Let's see after new collection.
0 Kudos