Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

VTune Performance Snapshot crashes on simple Java program

Pietruszek
Beginner

I'm trying to profile a quite small and simple command-line Java program in Intel VTune. I can run the Hotspots/Threading/Memory Access analysis without any issues, but when I run the Performance Snapshot analysis, it crashes.

Here's my configuration from the WHAT pane of VTune:

Launch Application

Application: java.exe
Application parameters: -cp "D:\Users\ZPO\Documents\benchmarksgame\binarytrees\Picked" binarytrees 21
Use application directory as working directory: yes

And here's the output I get:

Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -agentlib:amplxe_samplingmrte_javaprof_1.0
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not find agent library amplxe_samplingmrte_javaprof_1.0 on the library path, with error: Can't find dependent libraries

It looks like the same library is used successfully during the other analyses - the crash only happens when doing the Performance Snapshot analysis.

My Java version:

> java.exe --version
java 11.0.10 2021-01-19 LTS
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11.0.10+8-LTS-162)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.9 (build 11.0.10+8-LTS-162, mixed mode)  

My VTune version:

Intel oneAPI VTune Profiler 2021.3.0
Product build: 616728 
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
13 Replies
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities. Could you please share with us the following details so that we can investigate further from our end:

1. Is the result folder getting created? It would be of the form rXXXps

2. The crash log obtained after the crash. It can be obtained by searching vtune logs from %tmp%\amplxe-log-<username> in windows.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Pietruszek
Beginner

1. Yes, the folder does get created

2. I'm attaching all of the logs created after one attempt of running this specific Performance Snapshot

0 Kudos
Pietruszek
Beginner

And since I noticed that my phrasing could potentially be misleading, I'll clarify just to be sure: VTune profiler doesn't crash. When, I close the "almost empty" profiling report, I can continue profiling other things. But running the Performance Snapshot does crash the JVM instance trying to run my Java program. And when it's the Hotspots/Threading/Memory Access analysis, it runs correctly and takes around 6-9 seconds to profile.

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for providing the information. Could you also please share with us the result folder that you obtained after profiling?

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

We are working on this issue internally. We will get back to you soon.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Pietruszek
Beginner

Ok, I'm patiently waiting for this issue to be resolved.

In the meantime I also managed to fetch the requested result folder.

0 Kudos
Mariya_P_Intel

Hi @Pietruszek, thanks for sharing the details. Developers are working on this issue. I will notify you when get more info on it.

0 Kudos
Pietruszek
Beginner

Hi! What's the status of the issue? Has the cause at least been found?

0 Kudos
Mariya_P_Intel

Hi @Pietruszek, the root cause is found. Please expect the fix in next VTune releases.

0 Kudos
vamsi_parasa
Employee

Hello,

I'm an internal user and I have the same problem. Please let me know when the fix is available...

0 Kudos
Mariya_P_Intel

Hi @Pietruszek,

The fix is available in VTune 2021.9.0 release.

You may download it here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/tool/oneapi-standalone-components.html#vtune

Pietruszek
Beginner

Thank you for the notice @Mariya_P_Intel !

I've downloaded the new version and can confirm that the issue has been fixed on my side!

0 Kudos
Mariya_P_Intel

Hi @Pietruszek, thank you for the confirmation.

Feel free to contact Intel support in case of further questions.

0 Kudos