Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
4658 Discussions

VTune Performance Snapshot crashes on simple Java program

Pietruszek
Beginner

I'm trying to profile a quite small and simple command-line Java program in Intel VTune. I can run the Hotspots/Threading/Memory Access analysis without any issues, but when I run the Performance Snapshot analysis, it crashes.

Here's my configuration from the WHAT pane of VTune:

Launch Application

Application: java.exe
Application parameters: -cp "D:\Users\ZPO\Documents\benchmarksgame\binarytrees\Picked" binarytrees 21
Use application directory as working directory: yes

And here's the output I get:

Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -agentlib:amplxe_samplingmrte_javaprof_1.0
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not find agent library amplxe_samplingmrte_javaprof_1.0 on the library path, with error: Can't find dependent libraries

It looks like the same library is used successfully during the other analyses - the crash only happens when doing the Performance Snapshot analysis.

My Java version:

> java.exe --version
java 11.0.10 2021-01-19 LTS
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11.0.10+8-LTS-162)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.9 (build 11.0.10+8-LTS-162, mixed mode)  

My VTune version:

Intel oneAPI VTune Profiler 2021.3.0
Product build: 616728 
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mariya_P_Intel
13 Replies
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities. Could you please share with us the following details so that we can investigate further from our end:

1. Is the result folder getting created? It would be of the form rXXXps

2. The crash log obtained after the crash. It can be obtained by searching vtune logs from %tmp%\amplxe-log-<username> in windows.

Regards

Gopika

Pietruszek
Beginner

1. Yes, the folder does get created

2. I'm attaching all of the logs created after one attempt of running this specific Performance Snapshot

Pietruszek
Beginner

And since I noticed that my phrasing could potentially be misleading, I'll clarify just to be sure: VTune profiler doesn't crash. When, I close the "almost empty" profiling report, I can continue profiling other things. But running the Performance Snapshot does crash the JVM instance trying to run my Java program. And when it's the Hotspots/Threading/Memory Access analysis, it runs correctly and takes around 6-9 seconds to profile.

Gopika_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for providing the information. Could you also please share with us the result folder that you obtained after profiling?

Regards

Gopika

Gopika_Intel

Hi,

We are working on this issue internally. We will get back to you soon.

Regards

Gopika

Pietruszek
Beginner

Ok, I'm patiently waiting for this issue to be resolved.

In the meantime I also managed to fetch the requested result folder.

Mariya_P_Intel

Hi @Pietruszek, thanks for sharing the details. Developers are working on this issue. I will notify you when get more info on it.

Pietruszek
Beginner

Hi! What's the status of the issue? Has the cause at least been found?

Mariya_P_Intel

Hi @Pietruszek, the root cause is found. Please expect the fix in next VTune releases.

vamsi_parasa
Employee

Hello,

I'm an internal user and I have the same problem. Please let me know when the fix is available...

Mariya_P_Intel

Hi @Pietruszek,

The fix is available in VTune 2021.9.0 release.

You may download it here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/tool/oneapi-standalone-components.html#vt...

Pietruszek
Beginner

Thank you for the notice @Mariya_P_Intel !

I've downloaded the new version and can confirm that the issue has been fixed on my side!

Mariya_P_Intel

Hi @Pietruszek, thank you for the confirmation.

Feel free to contact Intel support in case of further questions.