Analyzers
Community support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)

VTune assertion

Chris_T_
Beginner

Hi,

I'm getting the following assertion whenever I try to profile any exe in VTune. This is for a fresh install of VTune from the 19th March.
I've tried building a simple "Hello world" exe with both 32bit and 64bit with the msvc 2015 compiler and 32 bit with mingw 4.9.2. I've tried different analysis types: Basic Hotspots, Advanced Hotspots and Concurrency and get the same result for all.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

[Assertion]

CrashedPID: 12140
CrashedTID: 7716
Expression: entryPoint != 0 && entryPoint != INVALID_ADDRESS
File: C:\bb\INNLphep2w6r\b\b\tmpd2pnho\vcs\perfrun1\plugins\etw\src\kernel\controller.cpp
Line: 376
Product: Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2017 Update 2; 499904
ReportPath: C:\Users\CHRIS\AppData\Local\Temp\amplxe-log-chris\2017-03-21-17-01-35-785.amplxe-runss.exe\

[Products]
Package ID: N/A
Package Contents: Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2017 Update 2
Build Number: 499904

[System]

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 
OS Version:                6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration:          Member Workstation
OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free
Registered Organization:   Microsoft
Original Install Date:     05/12/2013, 08:33:36
System Boot Time:          21/03/2017, 12:27:45
System Manufacturer:       Dell Inc.
System Model:              OptiPlex 9020
System Type:               x64-based PC
Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                           [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3401 Mhz
BIOS Version:              Dell Inc. A16, 18/05/2016
Windows Directory:         C:\Windows
System Directory:          C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device:               \Device\HarddiskVolume2
System Locale:             en-gb;English (United Kingdom)
Input Locale:              en-gb;English (United Kingdom)
Time Zone:                 (UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London
Total Physical Memory:     24,484 MB
Available Physical Memory: 9,868 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size:  48,966 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 33,559 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use:    15,407 MB
Page File Location(s):     C:\pagefile.sys

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Chris,

If you have an issue with Advanced Hotspots - please send the crash report also as it should be different with Basic Hotspots.

Can you confirm your application is always built by mingw or only in some configurations? Please confirm that you have this issue even if you're using MSVC compiler only.

0 Kudos
Andrey_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Chris,

Could you please try disabling accurate CPU time option as a workaround? In order to do this, try the following:

On Analysis Type tab right-click on Basic Hotspots, Copy from Current, disable "Collect highly accurate CPU time", then run the resulting custom analysis on your application.

0 Kudos
Chris_T_
Beginner

Hi,

Yes I was getting the issue even when using the msvc compiler only. 

I've disabled the CPU time option and I no longer get the assertion for Basic Hotspots.

Also, I reinstalled vTune and the Advanced Hotspots has started working (with mingw - I haven't had time to try msvc).

When I reinstalled vTune I noticed that it gave me a warning about SHA-2 code signing (I don't know if this is relevant). I am fully up to date with windows update though.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I should be ok with the advanced hotspots now.

Chris

vTuneInstallationWarning.png

0 Kudos
Andrey_I_Intel
Employee

I guess that you would no longer have this issue with Basic Hotspots after reinstalling as well. The crash seems to be related to some basic files from the installation directory either be absent or inaccessible. Please check if everything works for you now

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Chris,

Thank you for reporting and please disregard the install message about SHA-2 Code Signing support. We have a known VTune issue on proper definition of a patch needed for the code sighing support.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos