Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4562 Discussions

VTune fails: ProcessSectionHeaders: 927: unknown section type 0x6fff4c04

wenzeljakob
Novice

Hi,

I am unable to profile applications using VTune, which fails using the following error message

$ /opt/intel/vtune_profiler_2020/bin64/vtune --collect threading my_application

tune: Collection started. To stop the collection, either press CTRL-C or enter from another console window: vtune -r /home/wjakob/enoki-jit/r003tr -command stop.
vtune: Error: [Instrumentation Engine]: Source/pin/elfio/img_elf.cpp: ProcessSectionHeaders: 927: unknown section type 0x6fff4c04 for sec[150,.deplibs] in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc++.so.1
vtune: Collection failed.
vtune: Internal Error

The issue seems highly reminiscent to the following forum message, where the workaround was to use hardware-based sampling. I was interested in "--collect threading" mode, where that variant is not available, however.

In case it is relevant, this program was built using Clang 10 with libc++. I am using the latest version of VTune (2020_update3) on  Ubuntu 20.04.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Wenzel Jakob

0 Kudos
1 Solution
wenzeljakob
Novice

Great, thank you! I can compile with GCC/libstdc++ for now, but it's nice to hear that libc++ will be supported.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
wenzeljakob
Novice

A potentially useful data point regarding this issue: if the application is built using GCC (& linked against libstdc++), everything works as expected.  But building a C++ application using Clang 10, and linking against libstdc++ appears to cause the issue.

Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

There is hardware version of threading analysis. We could not catch sync objects in such case but probably you find what you need.

vtune -collect threading -knob sampling-and-waits=hw

It will be great if you share small source reproducer with compiler/linker flags to try that on our side.

Thanks, Kirill

wenzeljakob
Novice

Doesn't take much to reproduce

#include <iostream>

int main(int, char **) {
    std::cout << "Hello world" << std::endl;
}

To compile:

$ clang++ test.cpp -o test -stdlib=libc++

$ /opt/intel/vtune_profiler_2020/bin64/vtune --collect threading test

This involves the following packages (on Ubuntu 20.04):

ii clang 1:10.0-50~exp1 amd64 C, C++ and Objective-C compiler (LLVM based)
ii libllvm10:amd64 1:10.0.0-4ubuntu1 amd64 Modular compiler and toolchain technologies, runtime library
ii llvm-10 1:10.0.0-4ubuntu1 amd64 Modular compiler and toolchain technologies
ii libc++-10-dev:amd64 1:10.0.0-4ubuntu1 amd64 LLVM C++ Standard library (development files)
ii libc++-dev:amd64 1:10.0-50~exp1 amd64 LLVM C++ Standard library (development files)
ii libc++1-10:amd64 1:10.0.0-4ubuntu1 amd64 LLVM C++ Standard library
ii libc++abi-10-dev:amd64 1:10.0.0-4ubuntu1 amd64 LLVM low level support for a standard C++ library (development files)
ii libc++abi-dev:amd64 1:10.0-50~exp1 amd64 LLVM low level support for a standard C++ library (development files)
ii libc++abi1-10:amd64 1:10.0.0-4ubuntu1 amd64 LLVM low level support for a standard C++ library

Vladimir_T_Intel

Hi wenzeljakob,

Thanks for the reproducer! The bug has been fixed and the fix will show-up in the next public release. But if you need to have it quickly with an intermediate build, you'd need to create a ticket in the http://supporttickets.intel.com/ (just mention a link to this forum thread in ticket). 

-Vladimir

wenzeljakob
Novice

Great, thank you! I can compile with GCC/libstdc++ for now, but it's nice to hear that libc++ will be supported.

View solution in original post

wenzeljakob
Novice

Oops, I mis-clicked and selected my own post as "solution" -- sorry about that!

AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Glad to know that your issue is resolved. We won't be monitoring this thread anymore. Kindly raise a new thread if you need further assistance. 

Thanks.