Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

VTune fails without any real messages

dajum
Novice

I'm trying to profile my application in Visual Studios 2019 16.11.7 on Windows 10.  Using 2020.1.216 Ifort, and VTune 2020 607630.  The only message is collection failed.  it doesn't appear to actually have loaded my program.  If I execute it in the debugger it loads and runs fine.  So what is missing in VTune? Does is use the same ENVIRONMENT variables as the default PATH and the Intel compiler settings?  Do errors appear somewhere? 

TIA

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution
VaradJ_Intel

Hi,

Sorry, We support only the latest version of VTune in the forum.

For older version please check with Priority Support here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/get-help/priority-support.html

Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
VaradJ_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

We are able to profile fortran executable file using Visual Studio 2019 and VTune 2021.9. We recommend you to use the latest version of VTune.

VTune 2021.9.0 is available for download as a standalone tool at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/tool/oneapi-standalone-components.html#vt...

OR

as part of oneAPI Base Toolkit 2021.4 at

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/oneapi/base-toolkit-download.html

If the issue still persists with the latest VTune, please share the sample reproducer to try out the same from our end.

Does is use the same ENVIRONMENT variables as the default PATH and the Intel compiler settings?

Yes, it uses the same ENVIRONMENT variables as the default PATH and the Intel compiler settings. If you want any additional environment setup to run your application, you can make use of wrapper script.

Do errors appear somewhere?

You can find the errors in log files. The log file will be present in the result directory.

Path for log files: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\vtune\{_VTune_Version_}\samples\en\C++\{Application_Name}_results\{Report_file}\log

Thank You.

0 Kudos
dajum
Novice

Thank you for the answers!

In the log file I see this:

316 [14836] INFO perfrun.emon <> - runCmd:"C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\VTune Profiler 2020\bin64\emon.exe" -u -t0.050 -l0 -A -C "CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.DISTRIBUTED,CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.REF_TSC,CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD,INST_RETIRED.ANY,UOPS_RETIRED.RETIRE_SLOTS" -f "C:\sf63\sinda33\models\VTune Profiler Results\modelsvs10\r006hs\data.0\emon.0.emon" -experimental
317 [14836] INFO perfrun.emon <> - Waiting trace file creation: C:\sf63\sinda33\models\VTune Profiler Results\modelsvs10\r006hs\data.0\emon.0.emon
3366 [14836] WARN perfrun.emon <> - trace file was not found, at file: C:\BB\INNLphep2w6r\b\tmpfaojh9\vcs\perfrun1\plugins\emon\src\controller.cpp:549
3366 [14836] ERROR perfrun.launcher <> - emon can not perform an operation and will be disabled., at file: C:\BB\INNLphep2w6r\b\tmpfaojh9\vcs\perfrun1\launcher\src\plugin_manager_impl.hpp:433

I googled this error message and found no hits on it. The file referenced ( C:\BB\INNLphep2w6r\b\tmpfaojh9\vcs\perfrun1\launcher\src\plugin_manager_impl.hpp) isn't one of mine, and the directory doesn't exist.  Is there a way to track down why errors occur? Reading the documentation I haven't found anything that helps when errors occur.

I also found in the data.0 folder the emon files that say invalid architecture.  Not sure what would be invalid.  exec built using ifort 2020. 

0 Kudos
VaradJ_Intel

Hi,

Could you please try to profile your application using the latest version of VTune(2021.9). You can find the links to download the latest version of VTune in my previous response.

If the issue still persists, please share the sample reproducer to try out the same from our side.

Thank You

0 Kudos
dajum
Novice

I was able to run my executable with VTune in the 2021.9 version. So it would appear the problem has been fixed.  But I still need to work in the 2019 version as that is what we build our product in.  It is unfortunate that 2019 fails to run.

Dave

0 Kudos
VaradJ_Intel

Hi,

Sorry, We support only the latest version of VTune in the forum.

For older version please check with Priority Support here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/get-help/priority-support.html

Thank you.

0 Kudos
VaradJ_Intel

Hi,

Could you please give us an update? Have you checked with priority support?

Also could please let us know if we can close this thread?

Thank You

0 Kudos
VaradJ_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for accepting our solution. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thank You

0 Kudos