Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

VTune support for X5500 (Nehalem) processors?

benziwa
Beginner

Any clue when VTune will be able to run on Linux systemswith XeonX5500 nehalem processors? Any limitations?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - benziwa

Any clue when VTune will be able to run on Linux systemswith XeonX5500 nehalem processors? Any limitations?

I didn't think there were major issues, just stuff such as relying on you to recognize that Core i7 support also covers Xeon 5500, and to accept that the current release wasn't fully tested on a fully updated OS on that platform, so you may have to run the build-driver script. Thus, you might expect a requirement to be running a kernel build for which you have corresponding source. Unfortunately, I have seen machines set up with a running kernel where that condition was not satisfied.
You are fully entitled to submit problem reports, even though you may require a kernel or compiler newer than those on the list.
0 Kudos
srimks
New Contributor II
Quoting - benziwa

Download "Intel VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 Update 2 (Build update 2-226)", it should be fine with 5500 processor.

~BR
0 Kudos
vtune_user249
Beginner
Quoting - srimks

Download "Intel VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 Update 2 (Build update 2-226)", it should be fine with 5500 processor.

~BR
I have Vtune for Linux working on X5500 (with kernel version 2.6.28) . However I see only 5 Events avaiable in the Event Based sampling mode, while the software developers manual for X5500 lists many more. How can I enable these?

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - vtune_user249
I have Vtune for Linux working on X5500 (with kernel version 2.6.28) . However I see only 5 Events avaiable in the Event Based sampling mode, while the software developers manual for X5500 lists many more. How can I enable these?

You may have the pull down event group menu set differently from what you want. (At the top of the Configure Sampling window). It can display only 4 or 5 events, but you can scroll it up or down. In All Events, there must be <70 available.
0 Kudos
vtune_user249
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
You may have the pull down event group menu set differently from what you want. (At the top of the Configure Sampling window). It can display only 4 or 5 events, but you can scroll it up or down. In All Events, there must be <70 available.
Thanks. That worked. However I still dont see the Uncore events. Specifically I am interested in measuring the memroy bandwidth requriement for my application. Any suggestions will be helpful
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - vtune_user249
Thanks. That worked. However I still dont see the Uncore events. Specifically I am interested in measuring the memroy bandwidth requriement for my application. Any suggestions will be helpful
If you refer to the "measuring memory bandwidth" post further down the forum http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=68736 , I have little to add.
0 Kudos