Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Vtune Amplifier 2016 : profiling python code

Laurent_G_2
Beginner

Hi,

During europython one Intel guy show how to profile python code with the new vtune amplifier. I didn't manage to reproduce the example, I think I missed something during the project configuration (and I didn't find the video of the talk online).

Can you provide a simple step by step tutorial to profile python code (and see the python call not the python-c-api call).

More precisely does it requires to install a specific python version ? (like the one provided by intel?)
Do I need to add some specific entry in Binary/Symbol Search configuration ?
Do I need to add some specific entry in Source Search configuration ?

My current project configuration:

Application: python
Application parameters: path_to_a_pythonfile.py
Managed code profiling mode: mixed
Analysis type: Advanced HotSpot

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Laurent_G_2
Beginner

I managed (after digging a bit in the config xml file) to get the python hospot (using AMPLXE_EXPERIMENTAL=python-hotspots  ./amplxe-gui then creating a new analysis based on python-hostpots.. I get what I expected). Now I am going to play a bit with it, thanks.

Ricardo_C_Intel
Employee

Hello,

in order to enable Python profiler feature, do the following:

1. Enable the feature environment variable.

• On the Windows* OS: set AMPLXE_EXPERIMENTAL=python-hotspots
  • On the Linux* OS: export AMPLXE_EXPERIMENTAL=python-hotspots

2. Launch the VTune Amplifier XE GUI: amplxe-gui

3. Choose Launch application or Attach to application

4. Select an application with Python* code. For example: application = python.exe, arguments=path/to/somescript.py

5. Set MRTE mode to Managed

6. Choose Algorithm Analysis > Python Hotspots to profile in pure-Python mode.

For Python related questions with VTune Amplifier XE, please see the Intel(R) Distribution for Python Forum (https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-distribution-for-python).