Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

Vtune performance Environment

AZmizu
Beginner
I have downloaded Vtune analyzer 9.1 and integrated into vs2008, but when starting vs2008 I got: one or more components didnot load correctly. You may need to reinstall the product. I reinstalled many times! but still the same message. Also, when I accept the error and try to create new activity using the thread profiler, vs2008 said it needs to close and restart again.
Any help please.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - AZmizu
I have downloaded Vtune analyzer 9.1 and integrated into vs2008, but when starting vs2008 I got: one or more components didnot load correctly. You may need to reinstall the product. I reinstalled many times! but still the same message. Also, when I accept the error and try to create new activity using the thread profiler, vs2008 said it needs to close and restart again.
Any help please.

I strongly recommend to read - http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/integration-into-visual-studio-2008-not-working

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
AZmizu
Beginner
Thanks so much Peter for saving my time. Well I am struggling to build my openmp program inside vs2008 in order to use intel thread profiler to analyze my Openmp program. I tried a lot with changing build and link options but no result. And when I create new activilty inside the profiler, I got the message: "None of the Intel thread profiler Openmp collector's modules of interest have been linked to an Openmp library." So what should I do? and what is the complete command line options to produce the exe file suitable for the profiler. I am using intel c++ compiler ver 11.1 build 38. Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - AZmizu
Thanks so much Peter for saving my time. Well I am struggling to build my openmp program inside vs2008 in order to use intel thread profiler to analyze my Openmp program. I tried a lot with changing build and link options but no result. And when I create new activilty inside the profiler, I got the message: "None of the Intel thread profiler Openmp collector's modules of interest have been linked to an Openmp library." So what should I do? and what is the complete command line options to produce the exe file suitable for the profiler. I am using intel c++ compiler ver 11.1 build 38. Thanks in advance

If you use Intel? Thread Profiler to analyze OpenMP program, there are two Collection mode:

1) Instrumentation
2) OpenMP*-specfic

Please use option 1) which can supports OpenMP* threading. Again, please use build options same as Call graph I mentioned in my previous post.

Run Intel? Thread Profiler in command line, steps are: (example)
1. Please set the KMP_FOR_TPROFILE environment variable in your system
2. Start up Intel C++ Compiler IA-32 Visual Studio 2008, command prompt
3. cd "c:Program FilesIntelVTunetprofilebin"
4. tprofile_cl.exe..samplesompPrimeDebugompPrime1.exe
5. During this process, tprofile_cl.exe will report:
a) # of processors
b) # of threads
c) # of waits
d) average concurrency
Concurrency: 0, 1, 2, 3

For further analysis, the output in the threadprofiler directory can be viewed in the VTune Analyzer GUI, by opening .tp file

Hope it helps.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
AZmizu
Beginner

If you use Intel? Thread Profiler to analyze OpenMP program, there are two Collection mode:

1) Instrumentation
2) OpenMP*-specfic

Please use option 1) which can supports OpenMP* threading. Again, please use build options same as Call graph I mentioned in my previous post.

Run Intel? Thread Profiler in command line, steps are: (example)
1. Please set the KMP_FOR_TPROFILE environment variable in your system
2. Start up Intel C++ Compiler IA-32 Visual Studio 2008, command prompt
3. cd "c:Program FilesIntelVTunetprofilebin"
4. tprofile_cl.exe..samplesompPrimeDebugompPrime1.exe
5. During this process, tprofile_cl.exe will report:
a) # of processors
b) # of threads
c) # of waits
d) average concurrency
Concurrency: 0, 1, 2, 3

For further analysis, the output in the threadprofiler directory can be viewed in the VTune Analyzer GUI, by opening .tp file

Hope it helps.

Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter for your answer. I used the first mode (Instrumentation) ok. How about using OpenMP*-specific as it is recommended by Intel documentations. Is it not working with current Intel Profiler version 3.1?
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - AZmizu
Thank you Peter for your answer. I used the first mode (Instrumentation) ok. How about using OpenMP*-specific as it is recommended by Intel documentations. Is it not working with current Intel Profiler version 3.1?

If you select OpenMP*-specific mode, you have to add compiler option "/Qopenmp_profile". I don't understand it well since it uses OpenMP* runtime library to collect performance data, as well as I don't understand OpenMP*-specific report. I like to use Instrumentation mode, because the report tell the user clearly about critical time, parallelism, sync_obj in thread level view, thread's switches in time line, etc.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos