Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Waring about continuous profiling mode

Clift__Neill
Beginner

How do I resolve this error? I do not have another copy of vtune running. I am getting this attaching to a process and trying the micro architecture insights. I seem to be able to do the hotspot stuff OK.

Clift__Neill_0-1602183485303.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Forum.

The possible reason for this error might be because PMU(Performance Monitoring Unit) are used by some other processes or VTune might have got killed in midway of execution.

Can you please provide us with details like VTune version and the OS type. Make sure that vtune-self-checker script is running fine to validate that appropriate drivers are installed and the system is set up properly to collect performance data.

On linux :

<install-dir>/bin64/vtune-self-checker.sh

On windows :

<install-dir>/bin64/vtune-self-checker.bat

If you are running on linux, check in ‘top’ if any process like vtune sep perf etc are running.If on windows , see task manager.

Also try restarting the machine and executing again.

Regards,

Raeesa

Clift__Neill
Beginner

It says vtune 2020 update 2. build 610396. I run it on Windows 10 build 2004.

>VTune might have got killed in midway of execution.

Well I don't remember killing it with task manager or anything that vicious but I certainly terminate it by clicking on the red x a lot.

I can well imagine rebooting will resolve the issue. I really don't want to reboot as I actually use this machine for stuff. I could see a process called vtune backend running but killing that made no difference.

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\VTune Profiler 2020\bin64>"C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\VTune Profiler 2020\bin64\vtune-self-checker.bat"
Intel(R) VTune(TM) Profiler Self Check Utility
Copyright (C) 2009-2019 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Build Number: 610396

Instrumentation based analysis check
Example of analysis types: Hotspots with default knob sampling-mode=sw, Threading with default knob sampling-and-waits=sw
Collection: Ok
Finalization: Ok...
Report: Ok

HW event-based analysis check
Example of analysis types: Hotspots with knob sampling-mode=hw, HPC Performance Characterization, etc.
Collection: Fail
vtune: Error: PMU resource(s) currently being used by another profiling tool or process: another PMU collection session may be running

HW event-based analysis check
Example of analysis types: Microarchitecture Exploration
vtune: Error: PMU resource(s) currently being used by another profiling tool or process: another PMU collection session may be running

HW event-based analysis with uncore events
Example of analysis types: Memory Access

HW event-based analysis with stacks
Example of analysis types: Hotspots with knob sampling-mode=hw and knob enable-stack-collection=true, etc.

HW event-based analysis with context switches
Example of analysis types: Threading with knob sampling-and-waits=hw

The check observed a product failure on your system.
Review errors in the output above to fix a problem or contact Intel technical support.

Log location: C:\Users\Neill\AppData\Local\Temp\vtune-tmp-Neill\self-checker-2020.10.09_04.59.48\log.txt

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi ,

Can you try these steps :
1)Launch command prompt as admin
2)source vtune in command line
3)run "sep -stop"

0 Kudos
Clift__Neill
Beginner

Thank you very much. sep -stop looks to have fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for the confirmation. We are discontinuing monitoring this thread. Please raise a new thread if you have any further queries. We would be happy to help you.

Regards,

Raeesa

0 Kudos