Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

What's best for profiling brief performance stuttering?

Ryan_H_4
Beginner

I'm currently trying to use VTune Amplifier XE 2015 to drill down on some stuttering that I'm experiencing in this one open-source emulator.

The problem that I have is that the application's performance is not consistently good or bad across the board - instead, it runs full speed for about a second or two, then has a few frames of bad performance, followed by another second or two of full speed, and so on.

This is causing me some issues in figuring out what specifically is causing those brief performance spikes, because whatever it is is getting lost in the overall statistical noise of the rest of the application.

What sort of profiling settings should I be using in order to best pinpoint where the bottleneck is in my code for these particular frames?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Ryan,

Could you please check the following topic on frame analysis in VTune if it can be useful for you: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/609049

Also it is definitely worth to upgrade VTune to newer version - recently we released 2017.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos