Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5000 Discussions

Which versions of Linux do you support?

grapedog
Beginner
When you release your Beta of the new command line VTune product, which kernels will you support? Are Beta users allowed to build their own kernels if needed?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jeffrey-gallagher
Great questions, Grapedog. (BTW: you are hereby bestowed with the honorary title of "Official First Post-er" here at the forum. Congrats! And, anticipating a possible next question: no, regrettably it's not a cash award -> what you get is mere fame and glory...)

Q: Which kernels will the CLI beta support?

A: For the beta CLI (aka ?vtl?) software, kernel version is one important part of the required working environment to be sure, but it?s best to think in terms of full OS releases for the beta program itself. The beta software will be officially supported for Red Hat versions 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3, with those specific default kernels and environments, currently:

Red Hat v 7.1 (kernel-2.4.2, glibc-2.2.2)
Red Hat v 7.2 (kernel-2.4.7-10, glibc-2.2.4-13)
Red Hat v 7.3 (kernel-2.4.18-3, glibc-2.2.5-34)

Q: Can beta users build their own kernels?

A: By default, the beta vtl software will not either officially support or provide for this. However, please read on.

If you?re using a RH 7.1, 7.2, or 7.3 distro and have upgraded to a non-default kernel, you?re in an unsupported area, but it?s likely you can make that environment work through the use of some pre-beta software called the VTune for Linux Kernel Development Kit.

This software -- called the VDK for obvious reasons -- is in an extremely limited pilot program right now, and is being used successfully by a very limited number of system administrators. The VDK allows a system administrator to build customized versions of the VTune drivers for currently unsupported kernels. System administrators can request the pilot VDK software either here in this forum or via Intel Premier support.

But, you can easily guess the release team?s advice: for now, try to stick to the three supported RH distros and defaults.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
kernel 2.4.18-3 has a bug that it floods the network with broadcats. For this there is a patch 2.4.18-10. Is this version supported? I added -f to insmod and loaded the module anyway. Simple test shows that it works. Can you see any problem with this?
thanks
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey eli,

Thanks for the great question.

In times past we've recommended NOT forcing the insmod, and my guess is in this case it could be a mistake as well. BUT -- I'm checking some specifics out and will get back to you on this soonest.

cheers

jdg
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Ok eli,

The developers I talked to confirm that forcing the insmod is still a definite bad idea. They say it can cause system instability, meaning some kind of random lockup or crash. Do not use that -f option with insmod!

The real solution here is for you to use our VDK, the VTune Developers Kit, which is software that lets you build your own VTune drivers, specific to the kernel(s) you are up and running on.

The VDK software is not yet released generally, but you can get it by going to Intel Premier support and telling them you need the VDK. They'll make it available to you and you'll be on your way.

(*BTW* the intallation readme that comes with the VDK is excellent.)

cheers

jdg

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Thanks Jeff. I just sent them a request for VDK.
0 Kudos