Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

amplxe-gui crashing with segfault and XPCOMGlueLoad error

Gleeson__Frank
Beginner

Trying to view a hotspot results file I captured recently on a Linux host at work.

Here are some pertinent details about the system:

[mercury@usl20055625:[PTA] ~]$ whatami
/dev/mem: Permission denied
BIOS               :  Not SMBIOS compliant
BUSINESS UNIT      : (BU unknown)/AM
CPU 0              : GenuineIntel Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz (2792.982MHz) 10 threads/cores
CPU 1              : GenuineIntel Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz (2792.982MHz) 10 threads/cores
HOSTID             : 24a9bc28
HOSTNAME           : bond1.23 = usl20055625-eth1.am.hedani.net (169.35.33.155) [2C:44:FD:89:37:20]
KERNEL ID          : 2.6.32-642.6.2.el6.x86_64
MEMORY             : 63747MB
OS RELEASE         : Linux RHEL 6.5 CSL 3.1.1 build ""
UPTIME             : 7 days

What I do to replicate the crash:

1. Start a new ssh session on host usl20055625 to have clean environment

2. sudo su - mercury (vtunes are installed under mercury user account)

3. source /cs/mercury/emax/tools/ipp_2016/vtune_amplifier_xe/amplxe-vars.sh

4. export DISPLAY=169.36.186.204:0.0   (My Windows PC with xming X11 running)

5. run amplxe-gui

[mercury@usl20055625:[PTA] ~]$ amplxe-gui

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /cs/mercury/emax/tools/ipp_2016/vtune_amplifier_xe_2016.1.1.434111/lib64/libxul.so:

libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /cs/mercury/emax/tools/ipp_2016/vtune_amplifier_xe_2016.1.1.434111/lib64/libxul.so:

libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any helps or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Frank,

Well, yes, VTune GUI depends on libasound - you need to install alsa-lib to be able to use VTune GUI. Newer VTune versions aren't installed if such dependency is not resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gleeson__Frank
Beginner

Tried doing a repair on the installation but no change crashes in exactly the same way.

Not really getting why amplxe-gui needs sound anyway, does this make sense to anyone else?

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Frank,

Well, yes, VTune GUI depends on libasound - you need to install alsa-lib to be able to use VTune GUI. Newer VTune versions aren't installed if such dependency is not resolved.

0 Kudos
Gleeson__Frank
Beginner

Vitaly,

Thanks for responding. I would be happier if there was an easy way to disable the use of sound since it becomes just another hoop to jump through in order to use the product. 

Will try and see if I can locate an ambitious system admin willing to install the sound drivers for me since I don't have root on the box. While I am at it I should also ask them to reinstall the Parallel Suite, to get the drivers for advanced analysis. I am inheriting this project and was told all the tools were installed on the box. But apparently not correctly, and worse no one seems to have noticed.

In the mean time I have been getting by using amplxe-cl CSV export and report generating ability. It is not as good as visually interacting with the data but works pretty well when you know what you are looking for already.

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Frank,

Do you have SSH access to the target system? If yes, you can probably consider using remote collection over SSH where you would be able to run VTune GUI on your developer system, but collect the data on the target using remote collection. Analysis configuration and collection control is performed right from VTune running on developer system.

More details on remote collection: https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-amplifier-help-remote-linux-target-setup

Please note you'll need to setup passwordless access to the target system.

0 Kudos