Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

call graph error: Failed to configure the collector.

YannGolanski
Beginner

I am getting this error message when I try to create a call graph activity on a piece of c++ code. The consol does give me the following error:

Tue Dec 23 15:06:28 2008 Error in module "liboverlayMeasurement.so" - Module was not found or is not an ELF image.

However, the file liboverlayMeasurement.so is indeed an ELF binary:

$ file liboverlayMeasurement.so
liboverlayMeasurement.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

When I use the sampling activity this library is loaded fine and I can access the symboles for it as well as the assembler -- but not the source, which I have. As a bonus answer: how do I link the source to this library so that I can explore it?

Anyway, does anyone have an idea about why this should be?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Hi,

1. First at all, please ensure this is not due to LD_LIBRARY_PATH issue that Call graph can't find this module...

2. Please go to https://premier.intel.com to submit this problem and provide test case.

3. You may un-select problematical module in call graph list, as a temp work around.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
YannGolanski
Beginner

Hi,

1. First at all, please ensure this is not due to LD_LIBRARY_PATH issue that Call graph can't find this module...

2. Please go to https://premier.intel.com to submit this problem and provide test case.

3. You may un-select problematical module in call graph list, as a temp work around.

Regards, Peter

1. Sadly not. I thought about that one. Unless Vtune does not use the shell's path but it's own version of it.

2. I'll report this.

3. That would work if and only if I was not trying to profile that library!

Thanks Peter.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - nanometrics

1. Sadly not. I thought about that one. Unless Vtune does not use the shell's path but it's own version of it.

VTune suggests that you source its own script to augment the previous path set in your shell, so that the preferred directories come first.

0 Kudos
YannGolanski
Beginner
Quoting - tim18

VTune suggests that you source its own script to augment the previous path set in your shell, so that the preferred directories come first.

Done that but I still get the same error. Irritating. Anyhow, thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - nanometrics

However, the file liboverlayMeasurement.so is indeed an ELF binary:

$ file liboverlayMeasurement.so
liboverlayMeasurement.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

I wouldn't expect the error message you reported from the call-graph run, but you say on the sampling activity you got symbols from a shared object that's been stripped? Something doesn't make sense to me.

0 Kudos