Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

can I use vtune amplifier to reduce the overhead of the dll which I am not interested in

blueplant
Beginner
Dear experts,

I just upgraded my vtune analyzer 9.1 to VTune Amplifier, in vtune analyzer 9.1 call graph I am able to reduce the instrument level to minimalof the dll which I am not interested, am I able to achieve it in Vtune Amplifier also? Because I am only interested in the specific dll.

Any suggestions?

Regards

BluePlant
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rob5
New Contributor II

Blueplant,

The following Intel VTune Amplifier XE Forum thread may provide additional information about call counts and statistical call graph methodology used by Amplifier XE.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=81390

Let us know if you need additional information or clarification.

Thanks
Rob
Intel Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rob5
New Contributor II

Blueplant,

Thank you for your question. The VTune Amplifier XE 2011 uses statistical call graph method instead of a full call graph. There are many reasons why the methodology changed from a full call graph to statistical call graph. We may need to know more about what exactly you are attempting to accomplish by focusing on a single dll. For example, was it used for exploring the application architecture? Or to analyze call counts to determine which functions to inline? Or, other reason?

The performance values reported by the call graph were an approximation and the overhead of collected data usually resulted in an 8x performance degradation of the application. With the new statistical call stack sampling, there is a low overhead method of finding the hottest functions and how they were called.

The Top-Down Tree or Bottom-up views in VTune Amplifier XE 2011 with the module column may provide the functionality you wish in target analysis of your dll module.

Thanks
Rob
Intel Support

0 Kudos
blueplant
Beginner
Hi Rob,

Thank you for your reply, because the developper believes that most of the performance issues are caused by this particular .dll, they would like to know the call counts of the functions in this dll (can I get this information from the analyzsis result?) and see which function takes the most of time, I think it is the second reason you mentioned, so I can use top down or botton up views to achieve it, right? And do you have any more suggestions? I really appreciate your time and effort.

Thanks & regards

BluePlant
0 Kudos
Rob5
New Contributor II

Blueplant,

The following Intel VTune Amplifier XE Forum thread may provide additional information about call counts and statistical call graph methodology used by Amplifier XE.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=81390

Let us know if you need additional information or clarification.

Thanks
Rob
Intel Support

0 Kudos