Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

error getting data - no symbols, static linked library

MARK_A_2
Beginner

I am getting an error running an analysis with two errors:

1) no symbols, I run with -g and added -Wl,-u__errno_location as suggested on a web page.

2) missing some thread init thing.  I am not using threads.

Here is my link like (compile looks similar),

Thanks,

Mark

make PETSC_DIR=/global/homes/m/madams/petsc PETSC_ARCH=arch-cori-opt64-intel ex1
cc -O2 -no-ipo -g -qopenmp -simd -I/include -Wl,-u__errno_location  -o ex1.arch-cori-opt64-intel ex1.o -L/global/homes/m/madams/petsc/arch-cori-opt64-intel/lib  -lpetsc -Wl,-rpath,/global/homes/m/madams/petsc/arch-cori-opt64-intel/lib -lparmetis -lmetis -lHYPRE -Wl,-rpath,/opt/cray/hdf5-parallel/1.8.14/intel/14.0/lib -L/opt/cray/hdf5-parallel/1.8.14/intel/14.0/lib -lhdf5hl_fortran -lhdf5_fortran -lhdf5_hl -lhdf5 -lz -lp4est -lsc -ldl -lstdc++ -ldl
ex1.o: In function `__annotate_routines_init':
/opt/intel/advisor_xe_2015.1.10.380555/include/advisor-annotate.h:330: warning: Using 'dlopen' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
/global/homes/m/madams/petsc/arch-cori-opt64-intel/lib/libpetsc.a(send.o): In function `PetscSocketEstablish':
/global/u2/m/madams/petsc/src/sys/classes/viewer/impls/socket/send.c:173: warning: Using 'gethostbyname' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Mark,

1. For symbols problem - they should be detected automatically, if you did not move binary and source files after compilation. If you build on one machine and run on another, you should specify search folders in project properties to locate sources.

2. Is it a warning shown somewhere? If so, you can dismiss it most likely. Do you run in CLI or GUI? Can you provide you CLI or screenshot with the warning?

Regards,
Kirill

0 Kudos
MARK_A_2
Beginner

Thanks Kirill,

I was able to fix this by adding -dynamic to the compile & link line.

I am running the code with CLI and trying to look at the output with GUI.  I do not see much in the GUI.  I have added one bit of annotation and I just see a minimal data for function that seem to be just a random method in the code.  I've attached a screanshot.

Mark

0 Kudos
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee

You don't need any annotation for Survey analysis. How long does your application run? The tool is sampling-based, so workload should run for 5-10 seconds or more to get meaningful picture. Can you also provide your command line?

0 Kudos
MARK_A_2
Beginner

Yes, that was it, I needed to run it longer.  It looks OK now.

Thanks again,

0 Kudos