Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

hardware bottlenecks

Udotech
Beginner
Hello ,
I am new to VTune and I have a task to determine the performance and bottlnecks of installed hardware components on a system being developed in our lab. Actually it runs on Ubuntu. I wish to know if and how I can achieve this using VTune. It is actually an open source based HD video conferencing system. Can I determine the hardware component performance using VTune????
Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hello,

Intel VTune Performance Analyzer has sampling data collection feature, which can collect performance data for all active modules in system. These active modules could be user applications, device drivers and system modules.

If your hardware components in Ubuntu* (v8.10, v9.04 and v9.10 are fully supported for now)are worked indevice drivers andsystem modules, these modules will be profiled.

So please use Sampling Wizard to launch your test app (whichmaycommunicated with your device drivers and system modules)and start profiling.Display Processes Report and and find interest of processes,then drill down to interest of modules in Modules Report. Can you find some modules to show HIGH activities for hardware components relevant?

Regards, Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hello,

Intel VTune Performance Analyzer has sampling data collection feature, which can collect performance data for all active modules in system. These active modules could be user applications, device drivers and system modules.

If your hardware components in Ubuntu* (v8.10, v9.04 and v9.10 are fully supported for now)are worked indevice drivers andsystem modules, these modules will be profiled.

So please use Sampling Wizard to launch your test app (whichmaycommunicated with your device drivers and system modules)and start profiling.Display Processes Report and and find interest of processes,then drill down to interest of modules in Modules Report. Can you find some modules to show HIGH activities for hardware components relevant?

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Udotech
Beginner
Hi Peter,
Thanks a million folds. I am sory about my belated response . I have done that and it works perfect.
Regards
Udochukwu
0 Kudos
Udotech
Beginner
Hi Peter,
I am running my VTune pretty ok but I noticed that my Time Based Sampling is not enable. Could this be because I am running evaluation copy.
My machine is core i7.
Thanks
0 Kudos