Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4996 Discussions

inconsistent back end bound values

Stefano_C_2
Beginner

Hello,

In the attached screenshots VTune reports a back-end bound issue in the first 5 functions. When I expand the column to see the underlying category, some of them reveal no apparent issue (i.e. are not highlighted and the numeric value is equal to 0). I was wondering if it's just a bug or I should interpret the results somehow.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Stefano_C_2
Beginner

That happens if I select to show data as bars or numeric, under the categoy Unifilled pipeline slots, both Self and Total. (only Total is shown in the screenshots)

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

It simply means that CPU front-end has ready to allocation uop(s) , but back-end(execution ports and execution units) cannot process those uops because of some circumstances like instruction latency or interdependencies.

By looking at screenshot highlighted function is 100% back end bound.

BTW it could be also some kind of bug because of inconsistency of the results.Highlighted function run for short period of time a few dozens of clock interrupt cycles maybe there is insufficient amount of collected data?

0 Kudos
Stefano_C_2
Beginner

iliyapolak wrote:

Highlighted function run for short period of time a few dozens of clock interrupt cycles maybe there is insufficient amount of collected data?

That was the problem. A longer run showed consistent results.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

You are welcome.

0 Kudos