Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

is there any functionality difference between the free non-commercial version and commercial version of vtune?

yanling_zhisina_com
Recently I've been using Vtune to profile my parallel algorithm. I want to check the L2 Cache miss impact, and as the file "Using Intel VTuneTM Performance Analyzer Events/ Ratios & Optimizing Applications" says, I want to sample the MEM_LOAD_RETIRED.L2_LINE_MISS events. However, I cannot find such events in vtune non-commercial version (linux). Can anyone tell me ifthis event exists inthe non-commercial version of vtune, and where can I find this event if the answer is yes? Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Now there is another question: if I want to test the miss rate of the CPU cache including L2 and L3 when running my software on Core i7 workstation, what events should Isample?

If you want to measure L2 and LLC cache misses on Core i7 platform, please read page 18 of the arictle in http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-vtune-performance-analyzer-to-optimize-software-for-the-intelr-coretm-i7-processor-family

Regards, Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
There is no difference between commercial and non-commercial versions of VTune. There are differences between Core 2 and Core i7 CPUs, or possibly Atom. In the event selection menu, the cache miss events will show up only under the "all events" and under the memory events category.
0 Kudos
yanling_zhisina_com
Quoting - tim18
There is no difference between commercial and non-commercial versions of VTune. There are differences between Core 2 and Core i7 CPUs, or possibly Atom. In the event selection menu, the cache miss events will show up only under the "all events" and under the memory events category.

Thank you time18. The CPU on my workstation is W3540, which is Core i7. I've also installed vTune on another workstation with Core 2 CPU, and the event MEM_LOAD_RETIRED.L2_LINE_MISS came out, which proves what you explained. I also checked the specification of Core i7 CPU, there is also largeL3 Cache in it.
Now there is another question: if I want to test the miss rate of the CPU cache including L2 and L3 when running my software on Core i7 workstation, what events should Isample?
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

If you want to measure L2 and LLC cache misses on Core i7 platform, please read page 18 of the arictle in http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-vtune-performance-analyzer-to-optimize-software-for-the-intelr-coretm-i7-processor-family

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
yanling_zhisina_com

Regards, Peter
This is what I've been looking for. Thank you very much Peter.
0 Kudos