Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

nodes crash using SEP collectors after Meltdown/Spectre patches

Ronald_G_1
Beginner

After patching our OS for Meltdown we're seeing nodes crash during amplxe-cl collection using the HW counters (any of the non-PIN collections)

PIN collections work ( simple hotspots )

Also, using the older 2017 Update 1 VTune and collectors there are no issues.

But 2018 Update 1 with event counters crashes the node almost immediately after start of collection on any application. 

SEP drivers were not rebuilt after the Meltdown kernel patches - perhaps that is a test to do?

Anyone else seen this behavior?  Nodes crash hard and have to be power cycled.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
McCalpinJohn
Honored Contributor III

Are you seeing "double fault" error messages in the system logs? 

We have seen this a couple of times with 18.0.2 (build 525261), but we don't yet have a concise, reliable reproducer....

0 Kudos
H__Dane
Beginner

I also encountered this just now when doing an Advanced Hotspots trace, googled it and found this thread.

The second after clicking the "Play" button on VTune 2017, my system instantly crashed without a BSOD.

After upgrading to VTune 2017, it hanged and gave a BSOD saying something to the effect of "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor".

My system is Windows 7 Enterprise, with the Meltdown patches just applied a couple of days ago.

0 Kudos
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee

It looks like your issue may be related to this article. Please take a look:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-vtune-amplifier-impact-of-recent-os-security-updates  

As the article states, we're still investigating this.

0 Kudos