Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

"__itt_err" is undefined

catalogue126
Beginner
I'm trying to use the User Event API to place markers in my code for easier profiling. I used the sample code given in the User Event API section of the documentation, linked with [...]vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/lib64/libittnotify.a, and included"ittnotify.h" header. When I try to compile, I get the following error:

error: identifier "__itt_err" is undefined
if( return_value == __itt_err )
^
error: identifier "__itt_err" is undefined if( return_value == __itt_err ) ^

All other *_err symbols are also not found, whereas all the functions, like__itt_event_create, are found. If I simply do no error-checking, the code can be compiled and profiled with the markers correctly inserted.

Anyone have the same issue? The version I have is "Intel VTuneTM Amplifier XE 2011 Update3".

P.S. I needed to include "ittnotify.h" instead of "libittnotify.h" as in the documentation page linked above, because "libittnotify.h" has a deprecation warning and an instruction to use"ittnotify.h" instead. Perhaps the documentation is out of date?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee
Hello,

__itt_err and other *err stuff is not supported any more. User APIs don't return error codes.
This is documentation problem that wasn't updated. This sample should be withour error code checking.
We're working on updating the document already.

Regards,
Kirill

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee
Hello,

__itt_err and other *err stuff is not supported any more. User APIs don't return error codes.
This is documentation problem that wasn't updated. This sample should be withour error code checking.
We're working on updating the document already.

Regards,
Kirill
0 Kudos