Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

result, source, and binary snapshots

Seyfert__Paul1
Beginner

Hi,

I just switched to using vtune after some experience with advisor. Advisor has a snapshot feature that packs all sources and binaries together with results into an *.advixeexpz file. This is convenient when editing, recompiling, and rerunning code because one is still able to look at old benchmarks as reference and navigate through the old source and assembly. And one can copy these files conveniently from a server where a profile is created to a local computer to investigate the results. I didn't see a similar feature in the VTune documentation but might have missed it.

Is there a similar snapshot feature in VTune?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Paul,

Currently VTune does not have such a snapshot feature.

You can use undocumented "-archive" option to pack the binaries into result folder. The option is available in command line::

>vtune -archive -r <my_result_folder>

To cache sources you need to have a correspondent option switched ON in VTune GUI - invoke menu from the toolbar and choose Source/Assembly section to switch this ON.

After that any drill down to source from VTune GUI or command line reports generated with source granularity will cache the sources of interest.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Adweidh_Intel

Hi Paul,

We can download results and do comparison in vtune please refer below URL for more clarification. Regarding snapshots we are checking with experts will get back to you soon, meanwhile could you please share the vtune version and platform which you are using ?

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/analyze-performance/manage-result-files/comparing-results.html

Thanks,

Adweidh

0 Kudos
Seyfert__Paul1
Beginner

Hi Adweidh,

Thanks for the pointer and checking. I'm running Intel(R) VTune(TM) Profiler 2020 Update 1 (build 607630) on Ubuntu 1804.

Cheers,

Paul

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Paul,

Currently VTune does not have such a snapshot feature.

You can use undocumented "-archive" option to pack the binaries into result folder. The option is available in command line::

>vtune -archive -r <my_result_folder>

To cache sources you need to have a correspondent option switched ON in VTune GUI - invoke menu from the toolbar and choose Source/Assembly section to switch this ON.

After that any drill down to source from VTune GUI or command line reports generated with source granularity will cache the sources of interest.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

Seyfert__Paul1
Beginner

Okay, thanks for looking this up. I think that should be good enough to work with for now.

Cheers,

Paul

0 Kudos
Adweidh_Intel

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear that your issue is being sorted out, shall we proceed with closing this thread ?

Thanks,

Adweidh

0 Kudos
Seyfert__Paul1
Beginner

I'd still appreciate if such a snapshot feature would make it into a future release and hear about it. But the question itself is answered and the thread can be closed.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
Adweidh_Intel

Hi Paul,

We will take up your suggestion to concerned team. Thanks for the confirmation, we are closing this thread. In case of any issues kindly raise a new thread.

Thanks,

Adweidh

0 Kudos