Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

run time parameters while analyzing performance

fauzia
Beginner
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how can give runtime inputs during using vtune?

my c code main function takes 3 command line inputs ( main (argv[]..)... )
after compiling with icc, i am generating a.out(or whatever is the name..)

now i tried to collect the cpu-clk-unhalted value using the following command

$ vtl activity test-2 -d 600 -start-paused -c sampling -o "-cal yes -sterm yes -ec -en='CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD'

" -app ./a.out run

here i need to put the 3 params. if i was running only in command line , i would have put $ ./a.out 4 4 4
but how can I do it while running with vtune?

thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
There is an option to give command line parameters in the setup for VTune, but it may be better to set up your application to run as a shell script, if you can put the inputs in the script, and specify that script to be run by VTune.
0 Kudos
fauzia
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
There is an option to give command line parameters in the setup for VTune, but it may be better to set up your application to run as a shell script, if you can put the inputs in the script, and specify that script to be run by VTune.

Thanks. I wrote a shell script with all the parameter combinations and then ran it using vtune. its working...thanks again.
0 Kudos
fauzia
Beginner
I am facing a different problem now. My shell script runs my application file for about 30 different parameters.
Like:
for i,j,k
./a.out $i, $j, $k // for different combinations of parameters

I need h/w counter values for all these combinations. But in the output activity file, I am getting at most 16 set of values. Is there some kind of a limit? Or is it just adding up the values for different combinations?
0 Kudos