Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

to run advixe-cl and advixe-gui from command line

newport_j
Beginner

I am running advixe-cl for the first time. If I just type

advixe-cl ... where ... are the arguments

the program hangs and nothing comes out. If I type

sudo advixe-cl ...

It works, but only when I put in the sudo password.

If I type su and then the superuser password it also works.

Now if I type advixe-gui as a normal user only a small screen title Intel Threading Assistant opens

, but nothing else happens. It completely open up if I type sudo advixe-gui and the the sudo password or

if I type su and the superuer password.

Now what is going on here?

I am attaching a snapshot of the files after a ls -al command. They all

all root root. So must i be root to run advixe-cl,-gui?

I installed eval version as root; it was recommended.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Newport_j

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ravi_V_Intel
Employee
Hello Newport_j, Sorry for the inconvenience. It sounds like you are experiencing some unfortunate permissions issue. You don't need to be a super user to be able to run the Intel(R) Advisor XE GUI or the CLI. The snapshot file attachment you mention in your post above isn't found. Can you please file an issue at the http://premier.intel.com so that I can look into your issue further. Alternatively, you can also email me the details at ravi DOT vemuri AT intel DOT com Please let me know if I can help further. Thank you. Intel Developer Support
0 Kudos
newport_j
Beginner
I have saved the file as a jpeg file and uploaded it. Please advise why i must be superuser to use Parallel Advisor newport_j
0 Kudos
newport_j
Beginner
I have saved the file as a jpeg file and uploaded it. Please advise why i must be superuser to use Parallel Advisor newport_j
0 Kudos
newport_j
Beginner
0 Kudos
Ravi_V_Intel
Employee
Hello Newport_j, I am unable to reproduce the issue at my end. I looked at your screenshot and see that you could do one of the following two things: 1) Execute the program as "./advixe-cl" when you are already in the installation directory. 2) Add the installation directory to your path and then execute the "advixe-cl" command. The permissions on the executables seem fine. You do not need to be a super-user to be able to run Intel(R) Advisor XE 2013 tool. Please let me know if I can help further. Thank you. Intel Developer Support
0 Kudos