Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

top down tree shows memory address instead of source code

Rebecca_J_
Beginner

I run my program and collect hotspots.

When I open the vtune gui and click on the top-down tree toggle and click to see the a file I can only see the assembly language and not my Fortran source code.

Does anyone have any idea why this happens?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Which possibilities have you eliminated?

e.g.

compilation or link without debug symbols

.pdb or source code not on VTune search path

0 Kudos
Hagen_G_
Beginner

Hi,

I just had a similar problem, too. In my case the reason was that .exe and .pdb were not matching. (I had updated my local binaries from our server while a compilation ran on the server and thus I got mixed-up files.) Analysing the problem was possible by attaching to my process with wd_express (the visual studio debugger) and seeing that the .pdb file was not loaded although all paths were set correctly.

Perhaps VTune could give the user hints about not-matching binary and pdb files, so we are able to detect such problems on the user-side faster (or "more adequate")? (The current behaviour seems really to be that simply the assemby is shown rather than the source code.)

@Tim: I think that a missing source directory cannot be the problem here - as far as I know, VTune opens up a dialog to choose the source code folder in the case that it doesn't find it automatically.

Regards,

Hagen

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@Hagen

You can modify VTune(TM) Amplifier's Project Properties to set search Dirs for source/binray/symbol. If you already collected data, you can re-resolve the result again. In command line, you can do "amplxe-cl -finalize -search-dir sym:rp=dir1 -r result-dir"

On GUI, usually VTune will not ask you again if you failed to specify symbol directory first time, just use "re-resolve".

0 Kudos