Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

update 10 installation and collect errors on RHEL 6.3

whalajam
Beginner

I've downloaded an evaluation of VTune Amplifier XE update 10, and installed it on a stripped down (embedded) 6.3 RHEL - 2.6.32-279.5.1 kernel,Intel Xeon CPU E5645.

- the drivers were built (on a different machine pointing to the kernel version 2.6.32-279.5.1.el6.x86_64)and installed (./insmod-sep3 -r -g root)without errors (dmesg output was inspected),

- occasionally installation fails to install the command line application (amplxe-cl) sometimes (every installation was done after a fresh reboot following the same steps) but installs the GUI app (amplxe-gui) which fails to run due to a missing installed library (libamplxe_libxml_2.7.so). Eventually it installs the command line app (after rebooting).

Installing option that prevents GUI from installing leads to installation failure missing /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/bin64 (on x86_64 CPU) altogether.

Uninstalling and reinstalling leads to a invalid installation with missing command-line app and bin64 directory.

- running (as root) capture command to attach to a process (created by "nobody") crashes the process, I found a post that recommends to run the command as the same user as the process runs nobody, created a terminal for nobody (it didn't have one) and ran the command, still fails with:

{

amplxe-cl -collect-with runss -follow-child -r /reserved1/runss -duration 20 -target-pid 368

Error: Cannot find running process with the specified ID. Provide valid PID.

-bash-4.1$ ps aux|grep 368

nobody 368 0.0 0.0 446948 13688 ? S

}

- a couple of captures (at system level with webproxy filtering) succeeded but they were for short time (1-2 minutes), I tried to re-capture during a longer interval (first with 10 mins, reduced it gradually back to 1 min) without success, twice I got these (different causes) crash reports:

1-st: {

[root@s01b01 vtune_amplifier_xe_2011_update10]# amplxe-cl -collect-with runsa -analyze-system -duration 420 -r /reserved1/runsa

1> Intel VTune Amplifier XE

1> 2011 (build 240480) feedback too

1> l

Copyright (C) 2009-2012 Intel

1> Corporation. All rights reserved

1> .

1> 2011 Update 10 experienced an un

1> expected error.

1> Please send a problem report:

a

1> mplxe-feedback --send-crash-repo

1> rt "/tmp/amplxe-log-root/2012-08

1> -14-Tue-17-54-41-66318/crash_inf

1> o.txt"

Report data may be used

1> to improve product stability. Ou

1> r apologies for the inconvenienc

1> e and thank you for your assista

1> nce.

1> Exception: 0xb, Segmentation fau

1> lt

Module: libamplxe_sampling_tb

1> rw_3.4.so

Collecting system info

1> rmation...

1> Collecting modules information..

1> .

}

and

2-nd: {

[root@s01b01 vtune_amplifier_xe_2011_update10]# amplxe-cl -collect-with runsa -analyze-system -duration 60 -r /reserved1/rsa

Using result path `/reserved1/rsa'

Executing actions 8 % Loading data files Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011 (build 240480) feedback tool

Copyright (C) 2009-2012 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011 Update 10 experienced an unexpected error

Please send a problem report:

amplxe-feedback --send-crash-report "/tmp/amplxe-log-root/2012-08-15-Wed-10-56-29-311740/crash_info.txt"

Assertion failed: descId < ctx->dataDescInfos.size()

file: vcs/sepplug/src/sepplug/sepplug.cpp:3513

Collecting system information...

Collecting modules information...

Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011 (build 240480) feedback tool

Copyright (C) 2009-2012 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011 Update 10 experienced an unexpected error.

Please send a problem report:

amplxe-feedback --send-crash-report "/tmp/amplxe-log-root/2012-08-15-Wed-10-56-29-311740/crash_info.txt"

Report data may be used to improve product stability. Our apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your assistance

Exception: 0x6, Aborted

Module: libc-2.12.so

Collecting system information...

Collecting modules information...

Aborted

}

- one other error was reported at the end of the sampling interval duration as:

{

[root@s01b01 vtune_amplifier_xe_2011_update10]# amplxe-cl -collect lightweight-hotspots -analyze-system -duration 60 -r /reserved1/lhs1

2> TBRW_error_string returned error "Unknown reason"

2> TBRW_error_string returned error "Bad parameter"

}

- and many erros as this one, also at the end of the sampling interval:

{

amplxe-cl -collect-with runsa -analyze-system -duration 240 -r /reserved1/rsa

1> 2011 (build 240480) feedback too

1> l

Copyright (C) 2009-2012 Intel

1> Corporation. All rights reserved

1> .

2> Failed to initialize internal er

2> ror handling system

}

Unfortunatelly, as much as I needed to use the tool, I don't think I can justify purchasing the product unless there is something (installation, kernel module) that I did wrong and I can fix it,
thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Good news that you can built drivers on other box (same kernel version) and installed them on the target successfully.

For using the tool on embedded system - in my experience, you can install the tool on other machine first, then copy whole /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011 to the target (insert driver modules on the target, also). amplxe-cl can work, but amplxe-gui can't. You can collect data on target by using command line, and copy the result directory to the Host for analyzing.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
whalajam
Beginner
Sure, the installation issues were not critical (eventhough would have been correct for the script to check and not to report that amplxe-gui was generated), I managed to install the amplxe-cl (and the modules) and the processing flow is simple enough to follow.
The critical issue is the amplxe-cl errors and crashes that prevented me to get any results, 9 out of 10 times, can you try to help investigate the issues that I reported? (one frequent internal error and the 2 crash reports, one being an assert),
thanks
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
It seemed that you didn't understand what I said...don't install the tool on the target directly, install it on normal Linux* OS, then copy whole directory (installed tool) to target device.
0 Kudos