Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

vTune help

Derek_Woodman
Beginner

When I run a vTune First Use tutorial it says the following files are missing:

other64
/boot/vmlinux-2.6.27.38-170.2.113.fc10.x86_64

It pops up two dialog boxes that give the listed files as not found. When I run a sampling activity, i can double click on my application's name and it lists random library's and other64

I just want to see what functions in my program are the bottlenecks. I have improved version of my code, and I want to see how much they have improved.

Someone please help. Am I missing something simple?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

If you want to compare, don't use the First Use Wizard. Instead, use the Sampling wizard.

Regarding the kernel file, typically, the kernel is stored compressed in /boot. Because the First Use wizard attempts to analyze *all* the modules in which data was collected, it attempts to load the binary and symbols for the kernel. When it does not find an uncompressed file, it prompts you for the location of the uncompressed module.

If you use the Sampling wizard, only the modules which you double-click on to drill down into will be loaded.

0 Kudos
Derek_Woodman
Beginner

I can't get the data I want from the sampling wizard either. After I run the sampling activity it lists my application as a process. Along with a lot of others. When I double click on it, it lists 4 threads. Then when I double click on the any of the threads it lists two modules: Other64 and vmlinux-2.6.38-170.2.113.fc10.x86_64

This obviously isn't helping me. My program is processing an image. I use the window function from ipp as well as the fft, mat_mul, and ifft. I want to see how long each of these sections are taking so I can compare it to the old code that doesn't use ipp. I also want to see what is the next largest bottleneck so I can see if IPP can help us out there too.

Thanks for the help. I just don't understand what I am missing. Do I need to compile with some special flag or something?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Yes. You should be compiling with -g and making sure the link is not stripping the symbols.

Note, you can skip the thread view by pressing the "Modules" button on the view toolbar, instead of double-clicking on the process. Or, you can select one or more threads in the Thread view and then press the Modules button.

BTW, if you could run the same test, i.e., sampling wizard, on one of the samples, this would confirm that the issue is with the way your app is built and not with the VTune analyzer installation. (I'm assuming you are using a version of the analyzer that supports your OS. Have you checked the release notes?)

0 Kudos