cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

vtune cannot find symbols

Hi

I am using a library for linear algebra and I have compiled it with the -g flag. I also provide the path to the directory sources and also mention the search dir so that the build directories can be searched for debug symbols but I still get the warning in my Vtune output that debugging symbols cant be found for the library

amplxe: Executing actions 25 % Resolving information for `libparalution.so'

amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `/hpc/home/rogupta/paralution-1.1.0_dbg/build/lib/libparalution.so'

My launch script looks like this

#!/bin/bash
#PBS -l select=1:ncpus=20:mpiprocs=1:node_type=parallel:cpu_type=haswell
#PBS -l software=simple_exmpl_test
#PBS -e ./err_exmplv1_1mpi_1openmp_has
#PBS -o ./outpt_exmplv1_1mpi_1openmp_has
#PBS -l walltime=00:40:00
module add hpc
module add research
module add compilers/intel/16.02
module add impi/5.1.3.181
module add tools/vtune
export KMP_AFFINITY=verbose,granularity=fine,compact

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/hpc/home/rogupta/paralution-1.1.0_dbg/build/lib
cd /hpc/home/rogupta/simple_example
amplxe-cl -data-limit=1500 -result-dir /hpc/home/rogupta/vtune_results/vtune_res_1_1_htsptv5_has -collect advanced-hotspots -knob collection-detail=stack-call-and-tripcount -trace-mpi -search-dir= /hpc/home/rogupta/paralution-1.1.0_dbg/src -source-search-dir=/hpc/home/rogupta/paralution-1.1.0_dbg/src  mpirun -n 1 -env I_MPI_PIN_DOMAIN socket  ./simple_exmpl_test  /pscratch/rogupta/Aidr493k.mtx /pscratch/rogupta/rhs493k.vec 1 8

Could you please suggest how must I mention the path to vtune so that it can locate the debug sysmbols

The build directory for the PARALUTION library is in ~/paralution-1.1.0_dbg/build .

with kind regards

Rohit

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Can you provide the output of the following command:

readelf -S /hpc/home/rogupta/paralution-1.1.0_dbg/build/lib/libparalution.so | grep debug

?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello,

Where symbol file for libparalution.so is located? Full path of the directory where the symbol file is located should be passed to VTune in 'search-dir' option. For example, if symbol file is /hpc/home/rogupta/paralution-1.1.0_dbg/build/lib/libparalution.dbg, the right option is: '-search-dir=/hpc/home/rogupta/paralution-1.1.0_dbg/build/lib'.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Denis

In the build/lib directory I only see the .so file and nothing else. Like I suspected and write to Vitaly also probably that even though I have explicitly provided the -g switch (i use icpc as the compiler) the debug information is not there probably.

with kind regards

Rohit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Please check your compile flags and make sure the library sources are compiled with "-g" (look on icc invocation command line). Check that there is no "objcopy --strip-debug" command executed for the library after it was compiled.

Empty output of the command I suggested means that there is no debug info in the library.

You can also check that with gdb - looking source for the functions inside this library should not be possible.

0 Kudos