Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

vtune wont start

abcdefghij
Novice

vtune shows the splash screen and then nothing. I can see the process in the task manager, but I there is no window for it on my desktop.

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\vtune\latest\bin64> .\vtune-gui.exe --log-to-console --log-level=debug
[2364:0811/110008.344:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(186)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[9192:0811/110008.443:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(523)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is disabled, ANGLE is ...

Windows 10 Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045

vtune 2023.2.0

My username contains only ascii characters. I was on 2023.1.0, then this bug started happening. I repaired it. Upgraded to 2023.2.0. Nothing seems to be working.

There is no %appdata%/Intel/VTune/settings to delete. I did delete “%appdata%/Intel/Amplifier XE/settings and a few other settings folders under some form of appdata/(intel related names)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
abcdefghij
Novice

My apologies, I should have updated this, it got resolved on the next windows update somehow

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
abcdefghij
Novice

Edit: nevermind. I thought I found a workaround but it is garbage.

Help please intel

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel
Employee

Hi, 

Thanks for posting in Intel communities.

We tried replicating the issue with the latest version of Intel VTune profiler and was unable to reproduce it from our side. 

Could you please share the below details to assist you better.

1. Processor model

2. Are you running VTune as administrator? If not, please try running it as administrator.

3. Please try to uninstall and re-install Intel VTune profiler. If there are older versions of VTune profiler installed, kindly try removing them.

Thanks

0 Kudos
abcdefghij
Novice

1. Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2133 CPU

2. I have tried both ways, same result

3. I already tried uninstall/reinstall. No other version of vtune are installed

New info: I am using a remote desktop connection + vpn to connect to the desktop vtune is running on. When open it directly from the desktop vtune is installed on, I don't have any issues. I updated to the latest (nvidia) graphics drivers, no change.

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel
Employee

Hi,

We tried to run VTune using a remote desktop connection + vpn and it is working fine.

We are working on your issue internally and will let you know the updates.

Thanks

0 Kudos
abcdefghij
Novice

I have seen so many posts that end up with some variation of "We are working on your issue internally and will let you know the updates" and Intel never follows up with updates. No effort to find a workaround, no effort to obtain more debugging information. Keep up the good work intel

0 Kudos
abcdefghij
Novice

still no updates? I am glad to see you've been keeping up the good work intel

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel
Employee

Hi,

We apologize for the delay. We have contacted the admin team regarding this issue. They couldn't reproduce your issue in the exact infrastructure of yours.

They are still working on this and we will share with you once we get any updates.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Could you please try out the below workaround to use VTune via VTune server (backend) .

First you have to do the port Forwarding in Servers:

If you have a web browser on your host machine, you can follow the below process.

Note: VPN must be disconnected while doing port forwarding in servers

Step 1: To connect to a remote server, we use "ssh user_name@<IP_address of that server>"

Since we need to port forward from our local host to the remote server, we use the below command.

ssh -L localhost:<port_number>:localhost:<port_number> <server_username@server_ipaddress>

Eg: ssh -L localhost:8080:localhost:8080 sdp@10.165.154.190

Step 2: Source the variables.

source /opt/intel/oneapi/setvars.sh

Step 3: Let us try to open the GUI of Vtune

vtune-backend --web-port 8080 --allow-remote-access --enable-server-profiling

Step 4: After running the above command, you can see two links are generated. Copy any one of the GUI links (Note: do not press ctrl+C) and open it in any of your browsers.

Step 5: Click on “Advanced” and proceed and set the passphrase. 

The passphrase should contain:

* A special character

* Any capital alphabet

* The length of the passphrase should be a minimum of 8 characters.

Vtune can now be accessed from a browser and you can do the respective analysis. 

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. This would help others with similar issues.

Thanks

0 Kudos
abcdefghij
Novice

That wouldn't work, I can't connect to the remote computer without the VPN

I've just been using very sleepy. Thanks anyways

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

The dev team is still trying to resolve your issue. We will share you the updates.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you please try out the below workaround suggested by our dev team.

Use the VTune Profiler GUI on the local system to configure the desired analysis type for an "Arbitrary Host", then look at the command line (the bottom-right-most button) and copy that command line to the target system (over an SSH terminal session) to run it (depends on "source <install_dir>/vtune-vars.sh") then copy (scp) the results directory back to the system running the VTune GUI and import it into the VTune Profiler GUI project for this configuration.

Hope this will resolve your issue and please let us know whether we can close the case?

Thanks

0 Kudos
abcdefghij
Novice

My apologies, I should have updated this, it got resolved on the next windows update somehow

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Glad to know that your issue is resolved. Thanks for sharing the solution with us. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks

0 Kudos