Application Acceleration With FPGAs
Programmable Acceleration Cards (PACs), DCP, FPGA AI Suite, Software Stack, and Reference Designs
477 Discussions

NIOS II memory to access from hardware block

AnushaManoj
Beginner

Hello all,

I have a question regarding NIOS II processor. I have some situation where I have to send some allocated memory (By NIOS II software running on it) data to the hardware processing block. I am using on-chip memory as of now as the memory for NIOS II memory.

To get my work done I am thinking that, if I connect another Avalon Master port from my hardware block to the on-chip memory slave port, and then send the start of the memory address I want to copy, to the hardware block(maybe from custom instruction).  Then the hardware block would read and write directly from on-chip memory. (Making sure that there are no concurrent access to the same memory locations)
Is there any complications doing this? have anyone tried this before?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Hi, Manoj

You may consider the mSGDMA IP, you may refer to page 325 of below document:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_embedded_ip.pdf

Thanks.

Eric

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Hi, Manoj

Do you have any inquiry ?

Thanks.

Eric

0 Kudos
AnushaManoj
Beginner

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your kind reply and apologies for the delay. I have managed this through memcpy function in C and attaching a RAM module via avaoln memory-mapped bus.

DMA was a bit enefficient for mycase because the amount of data transfered is not big, so initiating DMA takes more time.

0 Kudos