Application Acceleration With FPGAs
Programmable Acceleration Cards (PACs), DCP, DLA, Software Stack, and Reference Designs
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
423 Discussions

Remote debug AFU on-chip memory using System Console.

khyam
Novice

Hi,

I have designed AFU with on-chip memory. I am doing remote debug of AFU using mmlink, system console, and signal tap.  I want to read and write the on-chip memory using the system console(remote method, that is TCP, the SLD hub controller).  I am using the following command to communicate on-chip memory using the system console.

1)

cmd: get_service_paths device 

rsp: /devices/1

2)

cmd: set m_path [lindex [get_service_paths master] 0 ]

rsp: /devices/1/(link)/TCP/sld_hub_controller_system_0_fabric.h2t_0/sld_hub/(110:132 v1 #0)/phy_0/master

3)

cmd: set c_path [claim_service master $m_path ""]

rsp: error: claim_service: Could not claim service at /devices/1/(link)/TCP/sld_hub_controller_system_0_fabric.h2t_0/sld_hub/(110:132 v1 #0)/phy_0/master: Channel(s) have already been claimed, and the new claims are not compatible with the existing claims(s).
    while executing
"claim_service master $m_path """
    invoked from within
"set c_path [claim_service master $m_path ""]"

I got the above error when using the claim_service command to claims the service for exclusive use.

Even for the open_service command also I am getting the same error.

Could you please provide the solution to the above issue?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @khyam 

I am not familiar with AFU and I believe the document guide here helps to provides some guidelines on how to remote debug AFU.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/afu-developers-guide.pdf

• System Console must be started after launching the mmlink application. If System Console returns an error, close the mmlink application, re-invoke mmlink, and launch System Console again.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

khyam
Novice

Hello @RichardTanSY_Intel ,

I am able to launch and connect AFU through remote debug and I have done debugging of AFU using signal tap tool. Instead of signal tap, we can use the system console for FPGA memory debug using Avalon MM commands like master_write_32 and master_read_32.  I tried using the system console tool for FPGA memory debugging,  the claim command used for claiming the master service for operation(FPGA memory read/write).  I got the below error for claiming master service.

error: claim_service: Could not claim service at /devices/1/(link)/TCP/sld_hub_controller_system_0_fabric.h2t_0/sld_hub/(110:132 v1 #0)/phy_0/master: Channel(s) have already been claimed, and the new claims are not compatible with the existing claims(s).

RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @khyam 

I am not sure what goes wrong... could you help to share your design (a simplified one .qar design file will do) that could duplicate this issue? 

May I know what OS and which device that you are using? 

Kindly help to provide the steps to duplicate the issue as well.

I will need to further investigate on this. 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @khyam 

Could you help to share your design (a simplified one .qar design file will do) that could duplicate this issue? 

May I know what OS and which device that you are using? 

Kindly help to provide the steps to duplicate the issue as well.

I will need to further investigate on this. 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

RichardTanSY_Intel

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan