Application Acceleration With FPGAs
Programmable Acceleration Cards (PACs), DCP, FPGA AI Suite, Software Stack, and Reference Designs
477 Discussions

Strange Invalid Work-Group Size Error

SBioo
Beginner

Hi,

I'm having a kernel defined as below:

__kernel __attribute__((max_work_group_size(LRN_MAX_LOCAL_SIZE, 1, 1))) void lrn( // Params Ports uchar data_dim1, uchar data_dim2, char frac_dout, // Data Ports __global lane_data *restrict bottom, __global lane_data *restrict top) {   ..........   }

in this code, LRN_MAX_LOCAL_SIZE is equal to 64. In the host side, I push my kernel as such:

status = clEnqueueNDRangeKernel(que_memWr[i], knl_lrn[i], 3, NULL, knl_lrn_global_size, knl_lrn_local_size, 0, NULL, &lrn_event[i]); checkError(status, "Failed to launch kernel lrn");

Both `knl_lrn_global_size` and `knl_lrn_local_size` are arrays of size 3. Here is the content of both arrays:

Global 27, 27, 24. Local 1, 1, 24

For me, everything seems to be fine, but I'm not sure why I'm getting CL_INVALID_WORK_GROUP_SIZE. Let me mentions that everything works fine in the emulation mode, but it fails in the real executions.

I'm using OpenCL compiler version 18.1-pro. Also I'm using Nallatech p385a.

Anyone has any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Saman

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DongWang-BJTU
New Contributor I

Did you compiled the design with -profile option ? Some bsp will report invalid work group size for profiled design. Try without this option.

0 Kudos
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

You are setting the limit for the third dimension of the work-group to 1 in the kernel, but you are supplying 24 in the host for that dimension. I believe this is the reason behind the error you are getting. The emulator probably ignores these attributes altogether and hence, you don't get any errors there.

0 Kudos
SBioo
Beginner

Seems like that was the problem. Thanks much for the clarification.

0 Kudos