Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games

Intel HD Support OpenGL 3 and DirectX10.1?

murut87
Beginner
I just wanna know if my laptop Sony can support OpenGL 3.X and DirectX10.1
If so,how possible?

How to make Intel HD support DirectX10.1 and OpenGL3.x ?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Deepak_V_Intel
Employee
Hello,
If the laptop is using Intel 2nd Generation Core Processors, with Intel HD Graphics 2000 or 3000, it should be possible to download latest drivers from the manufacturer's website. If not, you could try downloading the latest graphics driver at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/(Look under Graphics->Processor Graphics->Intel HD 2000/ 3000 drivers or run the auto detect applet).

Hope this helps.
Thanks
-deepak
0 Kudos
murut87
Beginner
Hello,
If the laptop is using Intel 2nd Generation Core Processors, with Intel HD Graphics 2000 or 3000, it should be possible to download latest drivers from the manufacturer's website. If not, you could try downloading the latest graphics driver at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/(Look under Graphics->Processor Graphics->Intel HD 2000/ 3000 drivers or run the auto detect applet).

Hope this helps.
Thanks
-deepak

thank you for the reply.

yeah my System is Intel Core i3-350M
and my system OpenGL support 2.1

BUT!

Intel HD Did had OpenGL 3....but the problem is....its incomplete.There`s some missing extension that Intel HD doesn`t have.I using OpenGL Extension Viewer 4.0 and this is what i get :

Intel HD had OpenGL 3,3.1,3.2 and 3.3 but only OpenGL 3 have almost complete version.

I already update my graphic card,even newer version.But still same.
I just thinking,how to make that extension supported? or i should use Linux Ubuntu instead because mostly users saying that the graphics support OpenGL 3.

0 Kudos
Andrew_McDonald
Beginner
The i3-350M is not a "second-generation" Core processor, in Intel's marketing parlance. It only supports OpenGL 2 with current drivers, and it looks like they'll never update its drivers to support OpenGL 3. A shame, as I think it should be able to - it does support D3D10 after all. I previously asked about this herebut got no reply.

The OpenGL Extensions Viewer application reports things in a slightly confusing way IMO. New versions of OpenGL are usually created by rolling existing extensions into the core, which is why they describe versions in that tree in terms of the extensions that were used for this. But that's not the only thing which might change with a new version, and an implementation isn'tobligated to support an equivalent extension even if it supports a higher core version of GL.

The upshot is that HD Graphics (the original, not 2000 or 3000) doesn't currently have a fullOpenGL 3 implementation on Windows, but does support some of the extensions that way.

You could switch to Linux I suppose, but I don't know what the driver situation is there. If Intel supplies them, I assume they won'tsupport GL3 either. But if they're 3rd party, you might be in luck.
0 Kudos
Aaron_C_3
Beginner
Hi guys, PLEASE HELP!!! I have the I3-350M and intel hd graphics as well. However mine isn't even OpenGL 2 compatible I ran the same program you show above. OpenGL extensions viewer and mine is only 1.1. I have tried acer and intel support and no one can answer me as to how to update to the right drivers. Intels auto updater says to contact manufacturer. Acer says to contact Intel. Please help I just want to run the new Photoshop and onone software which requires OpenGL 2 compatiblilty. I am not computer savy and really am stuck here. Looking at your post this is capable of being OpenGL 2 compatible! which is great news as I dont need a new laptop however please help me how to make it this way. Thanks! A
0 Kudos
Panayiotis_P_
Novice

Intel Linux open source driver for intel hd 3000 2nd gen processors (e.g. i7-2640m) is openGL 3.3 hardware supported. I have installed ubuntu just to give intel the proof that they are not supporting windows driver enough and their respective customers.Here is the proof (ubuntu/linux graphics driver with opengl 3.3 see picture attached). Intel why not windows???? Please support windows too. We need this API driver support in windows 7, 8 ,8.1 too (since no windows 10 intel driver I will not mention it).

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Panayiotis,

HD 2000/3000 are no longer supported. No new driver releases are planned. Currently supported products use OpenGL 4.4.

-Micheal.

0 Kudos
Panayiotis_P_
Novice

Michael C. (Intel) wrote:

Hi Panayiotis,

HD 2000/3000 are no longer supported. No new driver releases are planned. Currently supported products use OpenGL 4.4.

-Micheal.

This was your reply 2 months ago. You said the CPU with intel hd 3000 is still supported. You make me laugh. Are you fine??? I think you should seek assistance for lying. Are you the same person MichaelC mikeC?? Who has the highest rank??

mikec_intel wrote:

Dec 23, 2015 11:11 AM    (in response to palmiris)    

Hi palmiris,

The processor is still under support and warranty, so Intel might be launching a newer graphics driver in the next months.

Regards,
Mike C

I am becoming agitated with intel. You have produced a product which you failed to develop and failed to support your clients, with less than 4 years support. This is an aweful experience and behaviour from intel. You have become the enemy of your clients.

Lost one .Dont worry I will not buy another 1000 value laptop. But  when I do I will buy a non intel inside. Hope that someone gets a group against intel who have stoped supporting their products which have a 7 years lifecycle support, actually you gave support for less than 4.

I will not do more comments here. I am fed up with intel actions support and low quality development. Actually your responses are pushing customers away.

It was your fault that you did not produced an openGL 3.3 support.

It was your fault that you did not produce a wddm 1.3 driver to support windows 8.1.

Is intel lazy? Then you come and tell me that intel hd 3000 is no longer supported. Are you serious??????????? or are you becoming the "laughing stock"????????? with this new line of ridiculous replies.

It is your obligation and I only accept a positive reply. A negative is rejected. I will be waiting that intel supports its products and produces an openGL 3.3 driver for 2nd gen CPUs with intel hd 3000.

1. First mistake: Intel hd 3000 does not hardware support openGL 3.3.

2. Second mistake: Intel hd 3000 2nd gen CPUs are not supported anymore.

Go and find out if I am legally supported by intel, and for how many years and then come back and apologize.

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hello,

The post from mikec_intel is not from me. I do not post in the Intel Support Community just this one, which is for game developers working on Intel Graphics. I can only comment on what the current driver release plans are and not on Intel product warranties/support. Those questions should be directed to the Intel Support Community.

-Michael

0 Kudos
Panayiotis_P_
Novice

Hello,

Fair enough, It contradicts your opinion though, I first thought that both mikec_intel and you are the same person, though later I made the assumption that you are different people employed by intel.

Thanks for keeping a dispassionate/polite answer. I hope that someone reads my opinion and acts upon it in order to support openGL 3.3 in windows for intel hd 3000 IGP (2nd gen CPUs). It is a pity that you don't support all your processors with the same passion but you should support all your clients irrespective if they are 3-4-5 years old. We are still your customers and we expect to have a lifecycle support, same support in terms of driver development and duration provided by alternative graphics card companies (NVidia and AMD). If you don't we will buy cheaper cpus without any graphics support from intel. This is disappointing that you don't offer this service to us.

Regards

Panayiotis

0 Kudos
Tarik_V_
Beginner

Hi,i yust wanted to know,if my laptop can support dx10.my specifications:Intel(R) HD Graphics(core i5),processor:i5 M520

0 Kudos
Sheri_G_
Beginner

Hello,

Is there a simple yes or no answer to whether it's possible to upgrade from an OpenGL version 2.1 card to an Open GL 3.0 or better? Can anyone tell me. And, if the answer is yes, how to upgrade?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
dhruv_s_
Beginner

can i anyhow make my intel hd graphic card 2000 support open gl 3.3 in windows pc

0 Kudos
Panayiotis_P_
Novice

19/4/2017

I have not bought another intel inside laptop. I will keep posting this every year.

0 Kudos
Lelo
Beginner

Pessoal, boa tarde!

Tenho um notebook Acer Aspire 4820T Core i5-450M - PROCESSADOR 2.4 GHz, 3MB L3 cache e estou tentando rodar o SketchUp e apresenta a mensagem a seguir:

Foram encontrados os seguintes erros ao abrir o SketchUp:

- A versão do OpenGL da sua placa gráfica "Intel(R) HD Graphics" é 2.1. O SketchUp requer uma placa gráfica compatível com OpenGL 3.0 ou melhor.

Infelizmente estes erros vão impedir a execução do SketchUp. A atualização dos drivers da sua placa gráfica pode corrigir o problema.

Ao tentar atualizar os drivers, mostra a mensagem a seguir:

"Nenhuma atualização de driver ou software compatível está disponível para o seu sistema."

Segue abaixo as especificações do meu PC, alguém consegue me ajudar?

Acer Aspire 4820T

Dispositivos e Drivers
PROCESSADOR

CPU Intel® Core™ i5 M 450 @ 2,40 GHz

GRÁFICOS

Gráficos HD Intel®

ÁUDIO

Dispositivo de áudio de alta definição

Dispositivo de áudio de alta definição

REDE E E/S

Controlador Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet (NDIS 6.30)

Adaptador de Rede 802.11n Broadcom

MEMÓRIA

8 GB

ARMAZENAR

KINGSTON SA400S37120G

0 Kudos