Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
486 Discussions

Vulkan Open Source Device Driver for Windows

Arthur_M_1
Beginner
As mentioned in this website, Intel won't develop Vulkan drivers for Windows anymore. However, I'm not in the same opinion like Intel, that vulkan drivers for Intel GPU on the Microsoft Windows operating systems is kind of useless. That's why I'm surly a lot interested in a open source device driver for Windows. To short this. Couldn't Intel open the source of the beta driver for Windows? It would give us the opportunity to keep a windows driver for vulkan on going without having to do a half rewrite of a driver, which was intended to be used for UNIX systems (small hint to the open source drivers for linux)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Victor,

Can you post the link to the website? As far as I know are still planing Vulkan support on Windows and will be doing further beta driver releases for developers.

-Michael

0 Kudos
Arthur_M_1
Beginner

Hello and thanks for reply,

I'm not sure whether I misunderstood this. If so please correct me, because I would be extremly glad to hear, that the drivers still will be updated!

If I haven't misunderstood the post, I would fall back to the suggestion in my first post.

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Arthur,

That statement is a bit confusing, Vulkan support right now is for 6th Generation and newer products and we are targeting developers not consumers. Thus why the releases are beta and are listed in the Game Developer Zone and not anywhere else. 

-Michael 

0 Kudos
Arthur_M_1
Beginner
That's great, thanks for de-confusing the statement. This appeases me. However, is full Vulkan support planned for consumers in the near future, after the driver passed the beta version?
0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

To my knowledge yes, but I do not know when and would not want to hazard a guess. 

0 Kudos
Arthur_M_1
Beginner

Thank you very much for clarifying the driver situation :)!

Cheers!

- Arthur

0 Kudos