Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
508 Discussions

Weird bugs on two processors. Mine is (i5-7200U)

MrSoup678
Novice

Good morning. I recently noticed wierd bugs while debugging or playing games.

I found out mismatched pointers after copying them (MOV instruction) (Linux),
Windows:
Sometimes explorer.exe crashes without reason.

I noticed that programs that I debug crash in consistent places.
They always lose something: the reference to some data.

Attached are the example logs from windows and CPU-Z reports on mine and my bro's computers, also screenshots on Linux of the corrupted textures of the game and, mismatched opaque pointer.
Also KDE's explorer sometimes has long black vertical line.

I am an contributor on a project called pragma. And main creator of this project having AMD processor does not experience the errors.

I use a laptop HP Pavilion cc502nw (15'')

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
MrSoup678
Novice

Bug turned out to be software exclusive. Namely VMT parser failing to parse multi-line comments.
Since the bug reported originated from software I'll mark this as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mrsoup678,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

I would need to get more context regarding your issue. Thank you for the logs that you have provided though.

Kindly provide the following information:

1. Are you a game developer?

2. Are currently developing the software that you are debugging or playing?

3. What programming language did you use to develop this game?

4. It would really help us if we can get more information about your system. Please download and run our Intel® System Support Utility from this page. To run it, please press "Scan". After the scan is finished, click next and there will be a save button, giving you an option to save the logs to a text file, please do so and attach the file on your reply. You can refer to How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows* for instructions.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MrSoup678
Novice

I am not the game dev. Hovever I do contribute to program called pragma (C++ language). There I made the screenshot of mismatch pointer after copy.
Problem occurs in third-party library called Anvil.
The game screenshots are from GZDoom source port. While I do not contribute to the source port, the gzdoom package comed from AUR and had to compile locally (mix of C and C++) (duallboot windows and Linux Endeavour). 

In windows I found the consistent way to crash pragma. With any game which has HL2 assets present (like portal, or TF2), in pfm try to import the `headcrabclassic.mdl` model. My bro's, and my computers consistently crash at this point. What's odd that Silverlan, the main maker of this program, did not have this problem while having AMD processor.

In linux pragma crashes midway during vkQueue setup in Debug configuration (while Vulkan uses NVIDIA card here, I did test with swiftshader, only to have the very same problem)

Also found out that sometimes Dolphin the KDE File Manager has the black vertical strobe in its window. The strobe moves with its window.

Also here are the logs.

Tried to downgrade microcode in linux to one from before August 8th. Did not work.

0 Kudos
MrSoup678
Novice

Oh one more thing. I uses outdated pragma. Current pragma does not crash however the resulting model has orange-black checkerboard as a result.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mrsoup678,

Thank you for your response.

I would need to ask our team to further check your concern; however, I am missing the following vital information:

1. What is the version of your Pragma software?

2. May we know where to download Pragma, the software that you are using? It appears open source based on your description.

3. If we can get the download link, I can check what the program does; however, if you can share more details on what the programs does for you, then that would be appreciated.

4. What is your Linux OS version/ distribution?

If you do not know this, you can type $ hostnamectl on the terminal. The result will provide you the Linux OS version and distribution.

Awaiting your reply.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MrSoup678
Novice

Please check https://github.com/Silverlan/pragma, nightly release.

You would also need assets. Please install Team Fortress 2 via steam.

Once done run pfm, to Model Browser tab and import `headcrabclassic.mdl` by right-clicking it and choosing "import model".

If done correctly you would get thumbnail of beige fourlegged creature.

For me however four-legged creature is accurate, beige is not. There is black and orange checkerboard on it.

I use Linux Endeavour with KDE desktop environment. This is a rolling distribution.

PFM is a clone of existing Software called Source Filmmaker. Was developed likely due to lack of maintenace of public version of the latter.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mrsoup678,

Thank you providing those information.

Please allow us some time to check on this. 

We will get back to you as soon as we have updates.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mrsoup678,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

While we were already doing our initial investigation of your concern and we need to clear out the following things:

1. May we know why you are using an outdated pragma? Is it because the current pragma does not crash but resulting model has orange-black checkerboard as a result?

2. Have you tried prior version between the one that you are using and the latest? Was it crashing and only the latest is not crashing?

3. We are thinking of asking you to do a test to disable turbo boost or C states, but we remembered that your system is from an OEM. Is there a way for you to disable turbo boost or C states in your system’s BIOS?

We look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

0 Kudos
MrSoup678
Novice

1. Most likely, beacuse upon crashing program asks about making an crashdump. No crashes, no crashdumps. And according to crashdump chash happens due to "std::string" this pointer being null.
2. The latest is not crashing. 

3. No option to disable turbo boost in BIOS.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mrsoup678,

Thank you for your answering our additional questions.

We will continue checking this and the information that provided is vital to us.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this

We will post back on this thread as soon as we have updates.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mrsoup678,

We are currently checking your case, and we find that we need to gather an important information from you.

The information can be sensitive, so I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile regarding the data that we needed, please check it out. 

Best Regards,

Alfred S

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mrsoup678,

We are currently checking your case, and we find that we need to gather an important information from you.

The information can be sensitive, so I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile regarding the data that we needed, please check it out. 

Best Regards,

Alfred S

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mrsoup678,

Thank you for your response and providing more details regarding the issue,

We will continue checking this and the information that provided is invaluable to us.

Please allow us some time to check on your concern. We hope for your understanding regarding this

We will get back to you as soon as we have updates.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mrsoup678,

We appreciate your patience

Since you are a contributor to a project, we have a forum category for game or application development. This category is monitored by our experts, who can provide you with the best solution. To help you get your answer more quickly, we will now move your post to that category.

Please wait for their post.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Arturo_Intel

@MrSoup678 welcome to the indie game (and app) developer support forum!

A quick summary of the case and some questions regarding:

1. Using an older version of PFM at the moment of loading the crab model, it crashes with no useful information (no dumps/logs) only a "std::string" this pointer being null.

2. Using the latest version of PFM (1.3.0) the crab model is correctly imported but is showing an orange-black checkerboard over the model.

I assume you can replicate the above behaviors on Windows and Linux, right? 

What API (OpenGL, Vulkan, etc.) are you using for the engine?

Can you share the CPU model of your brother's laptop?, It is also a 7th gen Intel CPU?

3. Vertical black line over the KDE window on Linux

It is easy to reproduce or is it random?

Do you have specific steps for this behavior?

Only happens when using the PFM on Linux? 

I will do some tests on my own to see if all of the above also happens on latest Intel GPUs.

- r2

0 Kudos
MrSoup678
Novice

I run the PFM with dedicated NVIDIA Geforce 940MX card. 
Cannot replicate the behaviour in both Windows and Linux.
Linux crashes much earlier, before I can even try to import the model.
We also test this through RelWithDebInfo configuration, which implies `-O2`. Can easily switch to Debug conf in Linux, not so much for windows. This is due to MSVC runtime mismatches.

EDIT: Tests are done in nightly version.

No tests with integrated GPU. PFM uses Vulkan for rendering. However testing with swiftshader still causes identical error.
Cpu model for my bro is Intel Core i7 4850HQ (4th generation right?)

3. Somewhat random. More conistent are the corrupted textures in GZDoom. The textures which are corrupted are somewhat random.

0 Kudos
MrSoup678
Novice

Did anything turn up?

0 Kudos
MrSoup678
Novice

Bug turned out to be software exclusive. Namely VMT parser failing to parse multi-line comments.
Since the bug reported originated from software I'll mark this as solution.

0 Kudos