Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
852 Discussions

Does I210-CS support Serial Flash Interface?

t-suzuki
Beginner

Hi,

I am using i210-CS device with an external flash in our custom board.
For now, I am trying to write configuration data to the external flash.
I refer to the document No.333016-011 "Intel Ethernet Controller I210 Datasheet"
and it indicates that i210 supports an external serial flash interface for storing product configuration information.

On the other hand, I saw the document No.335761-009 "Intel Ethernet Controller I210-CS/CL Datasheet"
that notices I210-CS/CL can be used to connect an external Flash only for development purpose.

-Why are there two datasheets (specific or no marks) for i210 device ?
-Does it mean that i210-CS device can store product configuration information only in an iNVM
and cannot use an external flash?

Regards,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello t-suzuki,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Since your query involves custom board, please be informed that this will be best answered by our Embedded Connectivity Support team. We will help you to move this post to the designated team for further assistance. 

Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance from Ethernet support team.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @t-suzuki:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

You should compare section 1.3 (product overview section) of the cited datasheets to find the reasons to have those documents.

The information stated in section 1.4.5, on page 9 of the Intel Ethernet Controller I210-CS/CL Datasheet may answer your last question. This document can be found on the following website:

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/335761

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos