Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

Ethernet Controller I225

Daniel_Pixy
Beginner

Hello,

I have two HW design questions regarding the i225 Ethernet Controller.

- The i225 Ethernet controller is used in ours design as 10/100 base Ethernet (not 1Gb Ethernet). What is to do with the pins 51, 52, 54, 55? Leave them open? This is not clearly described in the datasheet.

- in the document "576704 intel Ethernet controller i225 design checklist rev 1.3" is mention that the magnetics part which has a common mode chokes shall be on the PHY side and not cable side. However, the Reference Schematic "576602 intel ethernet controller i 225 reference schematic"  is the common mode choke on cable side. What is correct now?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Daniel_pixy,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

We would like to get more context on your issue so we can assist you better. Please answer the following questions:

1. May we know to what system are you incorporating this ethernet card on your custom design? Is it also an Intel product?

2. May we know the purpose of why you require the information?

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi Daniel_pixy,

Good day!

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to proceed checking your query. If in case you have additional questions, feel free to let us know.

Awaiting to your reply.

In case we don't hear from you, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Daniel_Pixy
Beginner

Following feedback:

1) the system is a HMI for railway based on Intel Apollo Lake processor

2) The Ethernet interface requires a 10/100 MBit Ethernet, which is connected to a special 4 pin output connector.  In the datasheet of i225 is not clearly written how to deal with the remaining 1GBit PHY pins.

Note: Additionally, I have come to the conclusion that the remark in the Design Checklist is an error by Intel. If not, this would mean that the i225 ehternet controller has EMC problems

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi Daniel_pixy,

Thank you for the reply. 

Please allow us to further check on your request. We will provide an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Daniel_pixy,

Thank you for your patience.

Due to the intricacy of your concern, we need more time to look into the issue that you raised. We hope for your understanding. W

We will provide you with an update no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Daniel_pixy,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

After checking we will route your post to the embedded forum so it can get answered more quickly.

Please wait for their reply within 1 to 2 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Daniel_Pixy:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We suggest you review the information stated in Table 2-3, on page 9 of the Intel® Ethernet Controller I225 Datasheet document # 596659, and in section 1.2, on pages 4 through 12 of the Intel® Ethernet Controller I225 Design Considerations document # 607353. These documents can be found when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account on the following websites:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/596659.htm

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/607353.htm

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update request or report any inconveniences with the provided site. It can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Samsedam
Beginner

Hello Daniel,

I add my private feedback based on my experience.

I think The schematic that you attached was correct...

Magenetic was located beween Intel chipset and RJ45(or Connector) correctly.

Cable side means the the outside of RJ45 that you can connect your LAN cable.

^^

Good Luck.

JY

0 Kudos