Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

Ethernet failure when using the i210 Controller at +71C

CDest1
Beginner

Hey,

We are seeing Ethernet with the i210 Controllers IT when testing at +71 C.

We would like to have someone look over our design and verify that our design meets the standard.

Are there test results or specifications for testing at high temperatures?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

​Hello, @CDest1​ :

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

In order to be on the same page, could you please clarify if the affected units has been manufactured by you or a third-party company? In case that the affected units have been designed by you, could you please inform us the sources that you have used to develop it? By the way, could you please let us know how many units have been manufactured and how many are affected by this situation? If it is a third-party design, could you please give us all the information related to it?

Also, could you please provide pictures of the top side markings of the affected Ethernet controllers?

Waiting for the information that should answer these questions.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CDest1
Beginner

i210_location.pngThanks for your reply. Here are my answers below in bold:

Could you please clarify if the affected units has been manufactured by you or a third-party company?

The units were designed by us but are manufactured by a third party, Ducommun Incorporated and BEI Precision Systems & Space Company, Inc

In case that the affected units have been designed by you, could you please inform us the sources that you have used to develop it?

We used this guide: I210-AT_I211-AT 1G-BASE-T REFERENCE DESIGN

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/networking/i210-at-i211-at-1g-base-t-reference-design-schematic.html

By the way, could you please let us know how many units have been manufactured and how many are affected by this situation?

We have probably assembled 50 or more and half of those units have been affected.

If it is a third-party design, could you please give us all the information related to it?

The design was done by ViaSat Inc. See the attachment for the schematic. (Note: the PDF only contains the pages that pertain to the i210 controllers.)

Also, could you please provide pictures of the top side markings of the affected Ethernet controllers?

See attachment picture.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

​Hello, @CDest1​ :

Thanks for your update.

Based on your previous communication and the provided pictures, could you please remove the Thermal Interface Material (TIM)

over each of the Ethernet Controllers and provide pictures of their top side markings?

By the way, could you please remove the TIM of each of the devices that have it , apply it again, install the thermal solution and verify if the problem persists?

The guidelines to remove and apply the TIM can be found at the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005576/processors.html

Waiting for the information that should answer these questions.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CDest1
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

My manager corrected on my previous reply,.

We have a total of 2000 units that have been made and in the past we have seen 1 out of three units failing at hot temperature.

I am inserting the picture of an i210 below

IMG_0113.JPG

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

​Hello, @CDest1​:

Thanks for your reply.

However, could you please give us the information that should answer the second question of our previous communication as soon as you have it?

Waiting for your update.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CDest1
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Our tests from last night showed that the failure still persisted after removing and reapplying the TIM.

Is it possible to set a conference call?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

​Hello, @CDest1​ :

Thanks for your update.

In order to help you, we have sent a message.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CDest1
Beginner

Carlos,

We have already confirmed that the chip is not getting too hot by:

1. Using temperature sensors close to the chip
  2. Placing thermocouples on top of the chips' cases

We wanted to know some more info about the 25 MHz reference clock.

Here are the parts we are using for the Oscillator: SiT9120_LVDS_125MHZ and Frequency divider: AD9508BCPZ

PS, here is my email: cedric.destin@viasat.com

0 Kudos
CDest1
Beginner

Please find the datasheet for the crystal attached in this post.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

​Hello, @CDest1​ :

In order to help you, we have contacted via email.

We hope that the provided suggestion may help you.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos