Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems

High packet loss on I210-AT

FFrey1
Beginner

I have two I210-AT network controllers on the same board.

No.1 has an attached flash and runs fine.

No.2 is in flashless mode and has been initially programmed with "eeupdate64e /nic=2 /invmupdate /file=I210_Invm_Copper_NoAPM_v0.6.txt".

Both run under Linux with driver igb version 5.3.2 (latest version from intel).

When No.2 is connected to a Gigabit-switch, the driver reports:

"igb 0000:03:00.0 eth1: igb: eth1 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX/TX" and it runs fine.

When No.2 is connected to a 100Mbit-switch, the driver reports (as expected):

"igb 0000:03:00.0 eth1: igb: eth1 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX/TX", however the performance is

very bad. I have a packet loss of about 95%

Interface No.1 connected to the same switch has no problems at all.

What could be the reason for this strange behaviour? What is more sensitive for 100Base-T than for 1000Base-T?

Phy-circuits (transformer and connector) are equal on both interfaces.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Mephisto,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

In order to better understand this forum, we would like to address the following questions:

Could you please verify that the affected design fulfill with the requirements that answer the questions 2.11, 2.22; on pages 9 and 10 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ethernet-controller-i210-i211-faq.pdf Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210/I211 FAQs? In case that your answer is negative, please implement them and inform us the results in detailed way.

Could you please tell us all the information of the switches related to this inconvenience? If this situation happens just with one switch, could you please try to reproduce it with different switches and let us know the outcomes?

Could you please confirm if the affected project has been reviewed by the https://edc.intel.com/Tools/Design-Review/Default.aspx?language=en Schematic Review Service? In case that the problem persists, please follow the necessary steps to send your design to be reviewed.

Please give us all the information that should answer these questions.

Thanks for your help to solve this issue.

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos