Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4898 Discussions

X710-BM2 EEPROM Initial Loading and Linux Recognition

BwbInDal
Beginner

We purchased the rights to build a product from another company that was no longer going to manufacture it, so this is an inherited design that was done several year ago.  As I did not go through the design cycle, I am not familiar with many aspects of what is required to make it function.  I have some procedures from the other company I follow to program the EEPROM/NVM and can make the unit function as expected.  However, the process is very cumbersome and problematic, and will take too much time for our manufacturing group.

Currently, to program the EEPROM, I am required to change BIOS settings (x86 CPU card) and then reboot the board with an MS-DOS formatted USB stick that contains the lanconfig utility and the binary file needed to program into the EEPROM.  Once programmed, the card has to be rebooted twice to return the BIOS settings to what they need to be to function properly.  If everything was done correctly, it shows up in Linux and runs.

I have two related questions:

1. If the EEPROM is not programmed, it does not seem to show up under Linux.   This prevents something like the nvmupdate64e utility from recognizing it, so it cannot be used to program the EEPROM.  (These are brand new boards, so nothing has been programmed.)  Is there any other way from Linux to program the EEPROM, rather than the time consuming MS-DOS boot and program cycle?  I assume it has to be programmed to be discovered by Linux and the driver loaded. (I am not a Linux expert, so I may be missing something very basic here.)

2. Even if nvmupdate did recognize the device, since the EEPROM is blank, there is no current file to replace in the nvmupdate configuration file.  Is there some way force it to program in the required binary file if the device is blank? (obviously this applies only if question #1 can be solved and nvmupdate can be used)

Unfortunately, no provision was made to program the EEPROM in-circuit, unless we re-spin the board to do so.  At some cost, it may be possible to have the parts pre-programmed before insertion into the boards, which might be more time and cost effective than the current procedure, but less desirable then programming the part via the CPU.

If there are references that would answer these questions, please point me to them.  I did search the website but I did not find anything that seemed to apply.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi BwbInDal,

Greetings for the day!

Hope you are doing well. Could you please share a snapshot of the defective part with the serial number visible? So we can validate and provide further assistance.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi BwbInDal,

Greetings for the day!

This is the first follow-up regarding the issue (X710-BM2 EEPROM Initial Loading and Linux Recognition) you reported to us.

We wanted to inquire whether you had the opportunity to review the plan of action (POA) we provided.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi BwbInDal,

Greetings for the day!

This is the second follow-up regarding the reported issue. We're eager to ensure a swift resolution and would appreciate any updates or additional information you can provide.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
BwbInDal
Beginner

Sorry for the delay, but other priorities came up.  I will try and take a picture today of one of the chips, however, there is no defect to the chip as was mentioned in one of your responses earlier.  The only issue is trying to find out if there is a way to program the attached EEPROM from Linux rather than MS-DOS.

0 Kudos
BwbInDal
Beginner

Attached is the requested picture.  Note, that residue is from heatsink paste, and should be a concern.

0 Kudos
BwbInDal
Beginner

Note above should have read: "residue should NOT be a concern."

0 Kudos
Pintu
Employee

Hello BwbInDal,

Greetings for the day!

We appreciate your response to the case. We are checking the picture with the internal team, and we will update you on the status shortly.

Thank you for using Intel products and services.

Best Regards,

Manoranjan.

0 Kudos