Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

i210 ethernet controller preprogrammed MAC address

dpelaez
Beginner

Does the iNVM memory of the  i210 ethernet controller come preprogrammed with a unique MAC address?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello dpelaez,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We will be glad to check on your query with our engineers. But before that, we hope you don't mind providing the information below for us to better understand your request. 

1. May we know the reason why do you need to know if the iNVM memory of the i210 ethernet controller come preprogrammed with a unique MAC address? This is just for our record purposes.

2. Can you confirm if you plan to design or program your own board? If no, please share the brand and model of the motherboard where the I210 controller is embedded.

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
dpelaez
Beginner

1. May we know the reason why do you need to know if the iNVM memory of the i210 ethernet controller come preprogrammed with a unique MAC address? This is just for our record purposes.

I need to know if it comes preprogrammed with a unique MAC address so that if it doesn't, an external eeprom or flash with a unique MAC address is added to the design.

2. Can you confirm if you plan to design or program your own board? If no, please share the brand and model of the motherboard where the I210 controller is embedded.

This is for a custom board.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello dpelaez,

Thank you for the swift response. 

Since your query is for custom board, please be informed that this will be best answered by our Embedded Connectivity Support team. We will help you to move this post to the designated team for further assistance. 

Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance from Ethernet support team.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello, @dpelaez 

As you can see on the I210 datasheet: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/i210-cs-cl-ethernet-controller-datasheet.pdf?asset=14546,  on section 1.4.4

The I210 stores product configuration information in an Internal Non-Volatile Memory (iNVM) and in Flash memory. The I210 does not support an external EEPROM. The I210 supports a Flash-less mode where all the setup found normally in Flash memory are either set to their default, configured by software, or stored into memory

Also on section 3.4.1 iNVM contents you can find more information on the iNVM structure

You need special Intel Tools to program the iNVM but you need to have Priviledge Access to RDC, you can request access to RDC here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

Best Regards,

@Adolfo_S_Intel 

0 Kudos
dpelaez
Beginner

When used in flash-less mode is the default MAC address set in the iNVM structure a unique MAC address?

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello, @dpelaez ,

No, the I210 does not come preprogrammed with a unique MAC,  the customer needs to use the Intel tools to program a unique MAC address.

Best Regards,

@Adolfo_S_Intel 

0 Kudos