Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1154 Discussions

BayTrail Freezing on High Performance with Win10 LTSB2016

ED2
Beginner

Processor: Intel Celeron

CPU: J1900 1.99Ghz

RAM: 4GB

Problem: When changing the Power Options to High Performance, the system will hang after it's been in an idle state for a long period of time (usually within 24 hours). Changing the Power Options to Power Saver will eliminate this issue, but we would like to keep it at High Performance. I checked the event viewer and didn't see any indication as to why the system is freezing. One theory could be due to the updates. I checked our image before we ran the updates in March 2018 and saw no sign of the system freezing, so I went through each update. I found that reapplying KB4033631 allowed the system to not freeze over night. However, after letting the unit run idle throughout the weekend, we saw that the system still froze.

Any thoughts? I'll be glad to provide more information if needed.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, emoenycc:

Thank for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

In order to be on the same page, could you please tell us if the affected is units are third-party designs or they have been developed by you? In case that they are third-party devices, could you please give us all the information related to them?

By the way, could you please let us know if this situation persists when you use Microsoft Windows 8, Windows Embedded Standard 8 (non-connected standby), Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Embedded Standard 7, Microsoft Embedded Compact 7, or Microsoft Embedded Compact 2013?

Please give us the information that should answer these questions.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
ED2
Beginner

We manufacturer the unit, but our BayTrail board is designed by a third-party. What information do you need from our third-party? We have tested with Windows 7 Pro, PosReady7, Windows 8.1 Industry Pro, Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 LTSB2016. We're only seeing this with Windows 10 LTSB2016.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, emoenycc:

Thanks for your update.

In case that the board is designed by a third-party company, they should confirm you if the cited Operating System (OS) is validated to their design.

It is important to let you know that the information that we can provide is generic for third-party devices.

The list of the validated Operating Systems to the family of the mentioned processor is stated on page 3 of the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/platform-briefs/atom-processor-e3800-platform-brief.pdf Bay Trail Product Brief document.

We hope that this information may help you.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
ED2
Beginner

Thanks Carlos,

We did qualify the OS. We've been using Windows 10 LTSB2016 for some time now. It's only after the updates in March 2018 that this issue started occurring. Reapplying the update KB4033631 allowed the system to stay idle for more than 24 hours, but after a few days it will freeze again.

0 Kudos
Sedhadi
Beginner

Hi

Had you found any solution back then? I have a mini-ITX motherboard with J1900 Quad core 2.0GHz BGA1170 and 4GB RAM which freezes with any edition of Windows 10 (LTSC, pro, ...) regardless of power option.

(I have no issue with Win7)

Any idea?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Sedhadi:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We want to address the following questions to understand the reported situation:

Could you please confirm that you are located in Iran?

Could you please let us know if the affected device is your own design or it is a third-party one?

Could you please confirm if it is your design that has been verified by Intel?

Could you please inform us how we can find all the information on the affected third-party design? 

We are waiting for your answers to these questions.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Moborg
Beginner
Have you found a solution for this? It seems that I have a similar problem.
I can confirm that the device is designed by a third party, but I don't know if it's verified by Intel.
0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Moborg:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

You should review the End of Technical Support for 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors and Intel Atom® Processors E38XX and Intel® Celeron® Processors J1XXX and N2XXX provided by the Internet of Things Group (IOTG) letter document # 632552 to have a clear idea of the support situation of the cited processor. You can find it when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account on the following website:

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/632552

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update request or report any inconveniences with the provided website. It can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL .

0 Kudos