Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1155 Discussions

Intel Atom E3800 Real-Time-Clock (RTC)

PMorg1
Novice

The Current Specification of the integrated RTC of a Intel Atom processor E3800 family is regarding the datasheet defined as follows:

See atom-e3800-family-datasheet.pdf , Rev 1.0, Page 106

Is there a more detailed specification of the typical and the max. current of the RTC? Have someone measured the typical and the max. current of the RTC?

We need a backup battery lifetime of >8 years and with 100uA RTC current a backup battery with 7Ah is needed! This is not acceptable.

Regards,

Patrick
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello MOPA,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

The information that may help you can be found in sections 3.3, 3.2 ,and 5; on page 15, 12, and 19 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/application-note/ich-family-real-time-clock-accuracy-considerations-note.pdf Intel(R) I/O Controller Hub [Intel(R) ICH] / Platform Controller Hub (PCH) Family Real Time Clock (RTC) Electrical, Mechanical, and Thermal Specification (EMTS) - AP-728.

Please let us know if this information is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
PMorg1
Novice

Hello Carlos_A,

Thank you for your answer. The link to the document of the Intel I/O Controller Hub was useful to understand the RTC in more detail. In the latest revision of the E3800 family datasheet (Rev 3.9) I found this :

A measurement of the RTC_VCC did show a max. value of 2.8uA and with the typical value of 1uA I will do my calculations for the backup battery.

Best Regards,

MOPA

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello MOPA,

Thanks for you reply.

We are glad to hear that you have found the information that you needed.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have future questions related to Intel(R) Embedded devices.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos