Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

Issue with IEGD version > 8 and WinCE 5

NMach
Beginner

Hi!

We have been using the Intel IEGD display driver version 6 for a while for our 855GME chipset on Windows CE 5. Because we would like to support the 945GSE chipset in our image we have upgraded the IEGD driver to version 8 which should support both chipsets.

We are running an application which creates data reports in bitmap format. The application is using the Wince IImagingFactory to accomplish this. We noticed that with version 8 we are missing a lot of data in our reports. There seems to be missing a lot of data in theses images.

This is a screenshot of a report with IEGD version 6:

And this a screenshot of a report with IEGD 8:

Does someone have any idea what is going wrong?

Are there some changes between these versions which could explain this behavior?

I have also tried the latest version of IEGD ( 10.3 ) but it has the same issue ( even worse ).

Ciao

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Well, that looks like one of two issues.

1. Is it possible that you have accidentally implemented scaling of the display somehow in your configuration? Generally if you accidentally enable what we call "render scaling" it could be that the vertical lines ARE drawn but are scaled out by the rerender of the screen down to a lower resolution on your fixed resolution of the screen. The fix would be to have your screen resolution set to native resolution of the display.

2. This may be an artifact of a fix for an older issue in < version 8 drivers in properly drawing single pixel vertical lines. We may have implemented a fix for a more common issue that has backfired on the partiular drawing calls that IImagefactory (??) uses to draw lines. I am trying to get the details about that change that I vaguely remember from that timeframe.

I am hoping the problem is # 1 and I think that may be the case as we do not have any open issues against vertical line drawing around ANY operating system at this time. That makes me think that a new feature of the driver post ver 8 is accidentally getting utilized thus causing this issue.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
NMach
Beginner

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for you reply!

We are using a 800x600 LCD panel using the LVDS port. The resolution was already fixed set to 800x600 in the Windows CE registry.

I have read about the "render scaling" option in the documentation so I removed the secondairy crt display which we use for cloning. I have also added the PANEL FIT option to the display attributes and set it to 0. Unfortionatly this does not make any difference.

I am not really sure this has something to do with vertical line drawing since we are also missing horizontal lines.

So far we can only observe this issue when we are building images from BMP files using bitblitting operations.

Could you please try to found out more details about this second problem cause you mentioned?

BTW is there a detailed list available of changes made in version 8 compared to version 6? Is there also a version 7 which we can try to use?

Many thanks

Nick

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Missing horizontal info CAN also be attributed to render scaling as we have to throw away both veritcal as well as horizontal data to fit (depending on what we are trying to fit.

All releases have an "Errata" that came with them- we now call it a "spec update" and those should be in the archives with the older releases on download.intel.com (before we switched over to EDC). Otherwise, the only place to get the spec updates would be to request them on Quad (premier.intel.com) if you have an account there.

I am still researching that one change. but I need to track it down first to understand what changed. It had something to do with lines with a 0 length if I remember it properly.

0 Kudos
NMach
Beginner

I have found the spec update for version 8 but I can not find anything useful in there.

I have disabled the render scaling option by setting the "Panel-Fit" attribute (attribute 0x12) to 0 for the lvds port driver. Should this be enough?

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Are you doing any sort of display rotation?

0 Kudos
NMach
Beginner

No we do not use screen rotation.

These are the Wince registry settings we use:

;***** BEGIN INTEL DISPLAY DRIVER REGISTRY ENTRY *****;*****************************************************; This file was created based on user variable specified in the CED.; DriverVer=;***************************************************** [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Drivers] "Display"="ddi_igd.dll"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Drivers] "MainDisplay"="ddi_igd.dll"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Drivers] "D3DMOverride"="ddi_igd.dll"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\D3DM\Drivers] "RemoteHook"="ddi_igd.dll" ;********************************************************************; The Following Sections Provide; General Driver-Wide Registry Settings;********************************************************************[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\Display\Intel] "PcfVersion"=dword:700 "ConfigId"=dword:1 ;********************************************************************; The Following Sections Provide Per-Config ; & Per-Port Registry Settings;******************************************************************** [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\Display\Intel\ALL\1] "name"="945GME"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\Display\Intel\ALL\1\General];-------------------------------------; Select Display configuration, single, twin ...;------------------------------------- "DisplayConfig"=dword:1;-------------------------------------; Select if you want to enable Display Detection;------------------------------------- "DisplayDetect"=dword:0;-------------------------------------; Select Port Order;------------------------------------- "PortOrder"="40000" "OverlayOff"="1" "Width"=dword:320 "Height"=dword:258 "Depth"=dword:10<span sty...
0 Kudos
NMach
Beginner

Some more details about the code:

We use Windows ce 5 API's BitBlt and StretchBlt to shrink a bitmap picture. Somehow the quality seems very poor with IEGD version > 6.

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

That helps narrow down where things may be going wrong. A shrink BITBLT losing information is not right but is more understandable. The other errata change would not have affected this. It sounds like the shrink is throwing out the baby with the bath water. Since you are shrinking the data, some data has to be lost, right? Just not the data you want to see. My guess is that we did a performance tune on the BITBLT code and that may have affected how we use the source data. This may be "normal" and you might just need to adjust your source drawing so that the needed data is in a spot that is not getting eliminated.It would be very helpful if you could provide a sample/demo app of the issue so I can run it by our developers. Do you have a privleged account here (requires a CNDA with us) so you could upload that to me? If not, we can arrange it.

Also, I noticed that you have overlay disabled. Is there a reason for that? Disabling overlay can greatly impact performace as it forces the driver to work a lot harder for features where we could use the hardware overlay capability of the graphics chip. For grins, you might want to turn overlay back on to see if it impacts your issue.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
NMach
Beginner

It sounds logical but it is weird that the new driver reduces the quality.

I can provide you the code but I do not have a privilegded account so could you please arrange that for me?

About overlay: I have enabled it again but it does not make a difference regarding the BitBlt quality.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hello:

Community Moderator here. If you wish to upgrade your account to Privileged status, follow the link below to the "my account" page where you will find a box to request the upgrade. As Kirk stated, it requires that your company have a CNDA (Cofidential Non-Disclosure Agreement) with Intel. If you don't already have that in place, please expect that the process will take a few days.

https://edc.intel.com/My-Account.aspx https://edc.intel.com/My-Account.aspx

Good Luck,

Felix

J. Felix McNulty

Communtiy Moderator (Intel contractor)

0 Kudos
NMach
Beginner

Hi,

I have made a request to upgrade my account.

Thanks

0 Kudos
NMach
Beginner

Hi,

I am still waiting for the privilidged account approval. Can we do anything to speed up this process?

Nick

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hi Nick

It is not unusual for the approval to take some 10 business days which hasn't quite lapsed yet. Importantly, you should have received an email from Intel requesting for some information about your company. Can you confirm if that arrived?

Thanks

Felix

J. Felix McNulty

Community Moderator

(Intel contractor)

0 Kudos
NMach
Beginner

Hi Felix,

I did not receive this email so far.

Nick

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Nick:

OK, thanks for the input. I will escalate your situation.

Thanks for your patience,

Felix

0 Kudos
NMach
Beginner

Hi Kirk,

Intel aproved my priviledge account. How can we continue?

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

I was hoping that the privledged area would allow you to upload a sample code that reproduces the issue to us.

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Nick & Kirk

WIth priveleged account, Nick should now be able to access discussion boards in the e-Help area. Suggest you use the "software support" board to upload the files.

http://embedded.communities.intel.com/community/en/intel_e-help_desk/software_support http://embedded.communities.intel.com/community/en/intel_e-help_desk/software_support

When you post something in there please note that that board is monitored by Intel e-Help staff so you'll want to make a note that you already have a thread going with Kirk and not "opening a new case".

And - Nick, in the future please do take advantage of the e-Help desk.

Thanks

Felix

0 Kudos
NMach
Beginner
0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Something happened to MY EDC account now so I am trying to get back my eHelp access to get into that message!! The good news is I have a WCE developer lined up to look at the issues as soon as I can get to the sample routine!!

Kirk

0 Kudos