Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1152 Discussions

Questions concerning E3845 ATOM CPU. Boot problems caused by system stuck in S5# hibernation status

pirob110
Beginner

Hello.

We have a product featuring an E3845 (1.91Ghz, 2M cache ) intel ATOM CPU. It is mounted on a SOM module designed by an OEM (part number 047310 from Congatec TCA3 serie) . We have received multiple systems from clients that are not functionnal. 
What I mean by ‘not functional’ is that the CPU stays stuck in S5 hibernation status. This behaviour remains even after a power cycle occurs. It seems to be a static phenomena.
Our OEM confirmed that the SOM units could not be repaired, because die changes goes beyond their standard repair process. Die out , chip out & scratches could be observed on every die exhibiting these symptoms. We have multiple questions for you :

- While reading this document ( 600834-329901-intel-atom-processor-e3800-product-family-su-rev015_ERRATA.pdf ) . We’ve stumble on errata VLI89. We think it could apply to us, since the pull up resistor voltage is 3.3V ( and not 1.8V ). Could you give us more insights on this errata ? How should we handle it ? Could it explain why these  units stop booting after 3-4 years of continuous operation in the field ? The Errata says that 'under certain conditions where activity is high for several years'. What would be the exact conditions ? What would represent high activity and how much years does several years means ? 

- What would be the maximal pressure that must not be exceeded on the die ( FCBGA e3845 ATOM CPU ) when applying the paste & screwing the heatsink on ?
- Could it be possible for Intel to review our mechanical heat dissipation architecture ? If so , how shall we proceed ( on the NDA side of things ) ?
- Finally, it has come to our attention that the paste has a sandpaper ( abrasive) effect on the die when we clean it. The cleaning process generate scratches ( they still are less intense than the original scratches ). Could a tape or a PCM be a better alternative ?Could the thermal paste generate scratches with vibration during transport for instance ( the sink squeezes the abrasive paste on the die ) ? The paste part number is SARCON SPG-50A.

Thank you very much for your great insights. Have a great day.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jaime_Lizarme

Hi Pierre,

Please check your registered email, as I sent you some feedback about your CPU question.

Best regards,

Jaime L.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
pirob110
Beginner

Hi Jaime.

The Bay Trail processor serie does not seems to be a supported product by the IPS anymore ( I can't find it anywhere in the list of available products ). Is talking directly to the OEM the only possibility in my case ?

Thank you. Have a great day. 

0 Kudos
Jaime_Lizarme

Hi Pierre,

I have double checked and you are right, Baytrail CPU supports is discontinued by Intel, so then yes please refer your questions to the OEM.

Best regards,

Jaime L.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos