Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

Trouble with UEFI Booting on Bay Trail...

HTay
New Contributor I

Hello there,

OK so I got my hands on a Bay Trail (Z3770) reference tablet that came pre-loaded with Windows 8.1, but I want to install Linux to test my company's software. I tried a test install using the pre-built Intel Android image (https://01.org/android-ia/guides/quick-start Quick Start | 01.org) on a USB thumbdrive but it is unable to boot at all. Trying to boot the same image on my own laptop yielded a "Not Authenticated" error.

Booting the Windows 8.1 image (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx Download Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation) on the USB thumbdrive works though - I was able to install Windows over the existing Windows. Unfortunately I'm thoroughly ignorant about UEFI booting procedures... I don't know anything about how to prepare a UEFI image that can boot GNU/Linux (like Ubuntu/Fedora) or Android/Linux on this platform.

Any ideas what I can do?

Many thanks!

Hugh

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WILLIAM_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Hugh,

Welcome to Intel Embedded Community!

At first I want to know that have you made the boot USB thumbdrive successfully or not?

And ensure that enabled in the BIOS UEFI Boot Support, and set the Tablet from the U disk boot.

Please do not worry about it, I'll try to install this and give you feedback later.

William

0 Kudos
HTay
New Contributor I

Hi William,

Thanks for replying. I did the whole process again, this time with Intel https://01.org/android-ia/downloads/2014/android-4.4.2r1-ia2 android-4.4.2_r1-ia2 (released 28 April).

Here are the steps I took:

1. Unzipped the zip and checked the checksum.

2. As [su], "dd if=live.img of=/dev/sdX bs=1M conv=fsync".

3. Entered the tablet BIOS to select the USB drive for boot manually.

4. Error message appeared.

"Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup"

5. Went back to BIOS to disable Secure Boot.

6. USB Drive totally ignored like it wasn't there, with no message reported at all.

Any ideas what I can try next?

Best regards,

Hugh

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello, Hugh! Sorry for the delay in our response time due to a holiday break. William will look at this as soon as possible. Just wanted you to know that we haven't forgotten about your request! Lynn

0 Kudos
WILLIAM_C_Intel
Employee

Hi Hugh,

Sorry for replying so late, to disable secure boot is perfectlly correct, but I wonder why your USB drive totally ignored, each manufacturer has a bit different BIOS, and I do not have your BIOS here.

You could try to config the BIOS with following procedures.

1. In the "Security" tab, select "Clear Secure Boot keys"

2. In the "Boot" tab, OS type will be changed to "Legacy mode" and press F10 to save and exit.

After the reboot press F12, can use the USB drive to install the operating system.

Hope it works, if it does not work, please let me know, I will continue to researching for you.

Best regards,

William

0 Kudos
HTay
New Contributor I

Hi Lynn, hi William,

Thanks for your replies! I've attached the screenshots of the Security & Boot tabs. Apparently Legacy Boot isn't available in this BIOS distribution?

Also, keys are cleared but this has no effect - the Android image is still totally ignored. I think I'll go check with the device vendor as well to see if this issue is unique to the BIOS software they use.

Meanwhile if you discover anything that can help I'll be happy to try out as well.

Much appreciated!

Hugh Tay

0 Kudos
WILLIAM_C_Intel
Employee

Hi Hugh,

I installed Intel https://01.org/zh/android-ia/downloads/2014/android-4.4.2r1-ia2?langredirect=1 android-4.4.2_r1-ia2 (released 28 April) successfully. Please see the attachment.

I think maybe the problem is in your manufacturer' BIOS, so I would suggest you to contact your device vendor, hope they will resolve your issues as soon as posible.

Sorry for helpless, if there is what I can do for you, please let me know. Good luck!

Best regards

William