Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1154 Discussions

WES7 EMGD-CED Video driver for 800x480 LCD causes blank display

JdeVr
Beginner

Using: IEMGD version 1.10.0 / EMGD CED version 1.10.0 / Build number 2208

Target platform WES7

When I used the CED to create Windows and VBIOS drivers for a 800x480 LCD display I get the following results:

1. The generated VBIOS works

2. The generated Windows driver does not work - all video signals (sync and data) are 0, no activity.

I've tried included dtd for an NEC800x480 and get the same results as my custom dtd - most parameters are the same.

I've tried a multitude of combinations on the LVDS configuration page, so far with no luck.

I've watched the demo movie.

If I check "Use driver built-in standard timings", I get the Windows stuff on the display, but I can not switch to the 800x480 resolution - it doesn't show up in the list as a choice.

What am I missing and how can I get help?

Regards,

Jerry

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

800 x 480 should work at a driver level, although Win7 is most happy with a minumum Y resolution of 600 or higher. It may be refusing to allow a lower resolution than its minimum required resolution of 800 x 600.

Can you copy and paste the resulting non-working INF file generated by CED?

Here is something you can try also:

On the LVDS page Under Flat Panel Settings try selecting "Use Fixed Timing" and on the main LVDS config page leave "Standard Timings" selected on the No EDID section of the configurations. Those will allow the driver a bit more latitude into getting around the Windows requirements on minimum supported resolutions.

0 Kudos
JdeVr
Beginner

Hi Kirk,

I attached the INF file.

I'm assuming that by "Flat Panel Settings" you mean bringing up that dialog screen by pushing the button on the main LVDS config screen. In that flat panel settings window, I don't see "Use Fixed Timing" - Just color debth and backlight settings.

Regards,

Jerry

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Sorry- fixed timing option is a feature of the XP version of the driver. That might be a workaround for you to uninstall the W7 driver and install the XP driver (it operates in XPDM mode rather than WDDM meaning no Aero but one usually needs to disable Aero on current Atom based graphics anyway). The W7 driver is more like a Desktop / notebook type solution rather than our "harde-core" embedded solutions on more embedded OS.

What do you mean by you can only get Windows modes with standard timing enabled? If you can only get 640 x 480 but not 800x480 when standard timing is disabled and you have no option to set "fixed timing", then it does sound like Windows is filtering off the native mode for some odd reason.

0 Kudos
JdeVr
Beginner

Hi Kirk,

I've installed the XP/XPe version of the EMGD tools and have created a driver using it. I've been struggling getting the driver to consistantly install and work. It seemes that I need to un-install the driver before installing my latest creation... but that doesn't always work either. I get blue-screens on Windows startup a lot. By luck, I've had my driver install and run okay except things didn't look quite right on the screen - color resolution is wrong or the screen is scrambled. At one point when I had something working close - colors, resolution but the screen was scrambled in blocks. I changed one thing in the dtd (the pixel clock from 32MHz to 30MHz) and have not been able to re-install the driver successfully - I now get blue-screens all the time. Even going back to 32MHz doesn't fix the blue-screen. Is the problem that there may be dll/sys from the WES7 version drivers left over that don't work with the XP versions? Any suggestions. I feel I'm really close ;)

I've attached my latest INF file.

Regards,

Jerry

0 Kudos